Solved

I bought a domain but gets error that says "A store with that domain name already exists"

rappix
Tourist
3 0 1

Please help me, I am getting this error on freshly bought domain name using godaddy. Thanks in advance.

This domain is currently managed by a different shop.
You may contact support to transfer the domain to this shop, and initiate the transfer afterwards.

Accepted Solutions (2)
Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks for confirming that, @rappix !

Can you try connecting the domain now and let me know how it goes? You can do so under Online Store > Domains > Connect existing domain.

I look forward to your reply!

Holly | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi @house-of-rs

Any type of work with domains such as propagation can take a while to complete. It may be that your store is still recognizing the domain even though it was removed/disconnected. 

It may also need to be re-connected directly in your third-party dashboard. Please review our help document for connecting third-party domains manually here. 

If your domain issues persist after this time, please be sure to get connected with our support on this page here so the team can help you out! Have the following details ready:

• Your physical, or postal address
  • Your Shopify account email address
  • The last four digits of the credit card you are using with Shopify 
  • Proof of purchase for the domain you would like to use. This could be a screenshot with your name and the domain name from the domain registration account or an email receipt is needed for verification)

Let me know if I can assist any further.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 52 (52)

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

Hi, @rappix !

Thanks for reaching out about this.

It is likely that the domain was once owned and connected by another store owner on our platform. Even though you now own the domain, the system recognizes that it's still connected to another account.

Not to worry though - we can look into the ownership of the domain and ensure that you can connect it securely to your account.

Would you be able to tell me what the domain is exactly? Also, can you send me a screenshot of your domain's DNS settings from GoDaddy? This will show me that you own the domain now.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers!

rappix
Tourist
3 0 1

Hey @Holly, thank you for your fast response.

Domain name is mystic-shop.com, I've just bought it on godaddy. It has no changes in the DNS records yet - just default configuration, I am sending you the screenshot as a proof attached. If you need anything else from me in order to confirm ownership, you can PM or email me.

Screenshot from 2020-06-05 02-25-05.png

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

Thanks for confirming that, @rappix !

Can you try connecting the domain now and let me know how it goes? You can do so under Online Store > Domains > Connect existing domain.

I look forward to your reply!

rappix
Tourist
3 0 1

It worked! Thank you for your help! 🙂

LilianaYasmin
Visitor
2 0 0
Hi @Holly! I’m having the same issue. I bought my domain with google. I was trying to sign up for the free trial to start on my shop and it says my store name already exists. My store name is Zodiac Jewelz and the domain is zodiacjewelz.com. Please help!! Thank you!
Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

Hi, @LilianaYasmin !

Thanks for reaching out to us about this.

It sounds as though you are having an issue opening your Shopify account and creating a .myshopify.com URL that is available, is that right?

The .myshopify.com URL is your unique identifier within the Shopify system. In some cases, it happens that you may be trying to create a site called test.myshopify.com (for example) when someone has already used it. In cases like these, it's best to try a variation such as test123.myshopify.com so that you can create your store.

Since you already own the custom domain zodiacjewelz.com, you will simply connect your domain to your account after it's created to hide the .myshopify.com URL. You own that custom domain despite someone else having a similar .myshopify.com URL as you. There is no way for anyone else to own the domain you have purchased so, for the sake of creating the account, I would suggest making the .myshopify.com URL unique so you can then cover it with your custom domain.

I hope this helps!

Cheers!

fmureverwi
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi. 

I’m having the same error message when I try to connect my recently purchased domain from Bluehost. I own the domain now and I need to connect it to my Shopify store but it says the domain is used by another store. I can send proof that I own the domain and more info as requested. My email fmureverwi@gmail.com 

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

Hi, @fmureverwi !

Thanks for reaching out about this. I'd be happy to look into the domain for you.

I will be sending you an email shortly so we can look into the domain ownership and ensure that you are able to connect your domain.

Keep an eye out on your inbox.

Cheers!

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

Hi again, @fmureverwi !

When looking for your email under your profile, I noticed that my colleague Peter responded to another thread regarding the connection of your domain. It looks like you are in good hands with Peter!

If you need a hand with anything else, please let me know.

babiesinmotions
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Rose, 
   I am having the same problem, we own our domain but it says it is being used by another shop. Can you email us at admin@babiesinmotions.com to assist please? Thank you. 

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

Hi, @babiesinmotions ! 

I will be contacting you by email shortly to look into this for you.

Cheers!

Leoekstrom
Visitor
1 0 0

m.png hello i have the same problem i bought a doamin yesterday through shopifys own domainstore and after i bought it it said someone else already had it even though i paid for it and its my domain. ive tried alot of things but i cant fix it, please help me, thanks in advance. 

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

Hi, @Leoekstrom !

It's possible that the previous owner of the domain still has it connected to their store. Since you are the new owner of the domain, we can remove it from their account so you may connect it to your own.

In order to do so, I will need to take a look at your account specifically. Can you let me know what is the domain in question so I may take a look? Also, please let me know your .myshopify.com URL.

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers!

hobialisi
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Rose,

I'm having the same issue. I own yankstees.com but when I try to register it it says a store with that domain name already exists. Can you help?

Thanks much

bombshellboutiq
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Rose, I am having the same issue please help.

My shop url: https://bombshell-s-boutique-bags.myshopify.com/

My domain that I want to use: bombshell.boutique

My DNS Screenshot from godaddy:

Capture.PNG

Thank you in advance 🙂 

Sarah62
Visitor
2 0 0
Hi,
I also have the same problem,  I have two doamins that I own and when trying to connect them it says error
"A store with that name already exists"
Please help
forever12008
Tourist
6 1 0

Hey Holly, I hope your having a good day. Yesterday I made a purchase of a domain, and when trying to connect it, it shows a message "

tryme1.jpg

And when ever I try to connect it it keeps showing that the store is frozen just like the following picture:

tryme11.jpg

So, I have reached to the support chat yesterday and I stayed connected for about an hour and half, but they still didn't solve it. 

Could you please help me, I just bought the domain yesterday.

Thank you 

roshanchhetry
Visitor
3 0 0

T

HI! Please help me, I am getting this error on freshly bought domain name using godaddy

"A store with that domain name already exists".  My Domain name "shopunusual.com "  DNS RECORD IS BELOW

MyIMG_20210718_162400.jpg 

kinic
Visitor
1 0 0

I'm having the same issue. Purchased a domain via Godaddy and when I try to connect existing 

There is 1 error A store with that domain name already exists

I manually went to GoDaddy and input the A & CNAME info stated in your video, came back to shopify to try to verify and still receive the same error message.

KaeV
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi @Holly

I’m having the same issue. I had connect the domain to my store previously in October of 2020, however I had to close it for a while. I’m now ready to reopen and the domain will not re add. I’ve been so lost and confused trying to toggle with a few settings with no avail. I’m hoping you can help, thank you in advance.

ssrjr02
Visitor
1 0 0

hello,

i purchased the domain, "TechSpesh.com", which was available at the time. however, once I brought it and tried to  connect I get the message "a store with that domain name already exists" even though it said it was available 10 minutes prior and when I brought it. 

I got the bill sent to my email but when I tried to connect there was no luck and I was stuck with the default domain. 

Can you please get back to me and tell me what can I do to use the correct domain I purchased as I do not want too get charged for a domain that I cannot use!

look forward to hearing from you.

Many Thanks, Sahib

iprogrambetter
Visitor
1 0 0

yo i have the same problem and all the things below or above didnt work if i spam enough it even says domain is taken which is funny cause im sure i came up with stuff no one would  

domain name

smooshave.myshopify.com

mescex
Visitor
2 0 0

Hey @Holly ,

I have a similar issue. I am unable to connect my domain to my Shopify store. It says "This domain is already connected to another Shopify store."

My store name is mescex-0b9e. Please help me fix this issue. 

DNS Records:

Screenshot 2022-09-26 123421.png

Lastman
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi @Holly

I've recently bought  domain name from Godaddy and have been unsuccessful in trying to transfer the domain name to shopify. Due to the error. I'm wondering if you can fix my problem as I cannot. The domain name is fitness-4u.co.uk. Also here is a screenshot of my DNS sheet in Godaddy to prove ownership.dns.PNG

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

Hi, @Lastman !

Thanks for reaching out to us about this. I do apologize for the delay in my reply.

I'd be happy to look into the connection of your domain. It is likely that the domain is connected to a shop that is closed by the previous owner of the domain. In a case like this, we can remove the domain from the frozen shop so you can connect it to your account.

With that said, thank you for providing proof of ownership of the GoDaddy domain - that's great! I'll be contacting you by email shortly so we can securely connect the domain to your account.

Cheers!

Lastman
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi @Holly 

Many thanks for the confirmation. 

Boliwear
Visitor
1 0 0

I need this done too.  I bought a domain but getting same error message.  

Boliwear_0-1681866709660.png

chubacca52
Visitor
1 0 0

Please help me I just bought a domain ringlightsshop.com and I'm trying to add it to my shopify store but it keeps saying A store with that domain name already exists here is my email mbahchuka107@gmail.com pleas HELP¡

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

Hi, @chubacca52 !

I'd like to take a deeper look into this for you so I will be contacting you via email shortly so we may discuss details.

Keep an eye out on your inbox.

Cheers!

alexnik
Visitor
3 0 0

Hey @Holly. I have the exact same problem. I bought my domain from Godaddy, and was unable to contact customer support via email.

I hope you can help me.

Domain name: wishingmall.com
Shopify domain: https://wishings-mall.myshopify.com/

Screenshot 2020-08-20 at 3.29.58 AM.pngScreenshot 2020-08-20 at 4.06.17 AM.png

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

Hi, @alexnik !

I would like to take a deeper look into this for you so I will be sending you an email shortly.

Please keep an eye on your inbox. 

Cheers!

Yasserelk
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi, i'm facing the same issue ! can u help me please ? Sans titre.pngSans titre.png

CharlieW
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi @Holly  I'm not able to connect my google domain to my store, I think it is frozen on the DB or something
My store is amazingiftshop.myshopify.com and my domain is amazingiftshop.com
here is my proof 

CharlieW_0-1606554035086.png

thanks in advance

happyfutures
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi @Holly  I am new to shopify and experiencing the same problem.

My domain is with GoDaddy, see screenshot of DNS.

The issue I have is the I think I may have connected my domain to a previous shopify trial that has now lapsed. Old trial was called 'happyfutures' and so in my second trial (which now I have converted to a proper account to 'happy-futures-nz'.

Are you able to 1) help me redirect my domain to 'happy-futures-nz' shopify account?

Thanks

Annie

happyfutures_0-1609837779833.png

mehakgupta
Visitor
1 0 0

Please help me, I am getting this error on a freshly bought domain name using godaddy. Thanks in advance.

Its showing "This domain is currently managed by a different shop".
You may contact support to transfer the domain to this shop, and initiate the transfer afterwards.

Pleas help me connect to my domain. i have been struggling with this 

k1kon
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello,

I have this exact problem, as the domain I've bought recently is not connecting to my shop, since there is another store under it already. Could you please help me solve this, by email? I can gladly show you and prove my ownership of the domain, which I've acquired through domain.com.

Lastman
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi @Holly, I have the same problem with my domain from godaddy could you please contact me by email to help solve the problem. As I’ve found no way to counter it .

AstonBowskill
Visitor
1 0 0

oooooooooo

Petzo
Tourist
7 0 0

Hi,

I have this exact same problem. 

What do I need to do?

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi everyone, 

Ren here assisting Holly with some follow-up, 

In these cases, it's possible that the previous domain owner still has it connected to an old account/store. The only way to resolve this is by securely contacting our Help Center and connecting with an Advisor who can escalate a request to our Account management teams.

To do so, please login and select the relevant options. From there, you can scroll down and select how you'd like to connect with an Advisor. 

If there is anything further I can assist with, please let me know. 

Petzo
Tourist
7 0 0

Well @Ren 

I did go trough help center,  and the reply i got was the exact same "copy/paste" instructions to connect a domain!

This is frustrating.

I will start to look for another webcommerce platform now.

Thanks anyway to all. 

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi @Petzo

Thanks for your feedback about your experience. I would encourage you to reach back out by replying to the email when you opened your support ticket, and provide the following information as outlined in this post. 

Please reach back out with the following details: 

• Proof of purchase for the domain you would like to use. This could be a screenshot with your name and the domain name from the domain registration account or an email receipt is needed for verification)

That should help relay exactly the assistance you need as well as expedite the process of getting your domain issue resolved for you. If I can help clarify any of that please let me know!

house-of-rs
Visitor
1 0 0

My 3rd Party domain was my primary domain for my shopify store, however, when I entered the URL it didn't take me to the store, rather to the 3rd party domain provider itself. I removed the domain from the 'Domains' section on shopify store to re-add it but now it doesn't let  me add that and gives an error: 'This domain is already connected to another Shopify store.' 

Please help me resolve this.

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi @house-of-rs

Any type of work with domains such as propagation can take a while to complete. It may be that your store is still recognizing the domain even though it was removed/disconnected. 

It may also need to be re-connected directly in your third-party dashboard. Please review our help document for connecting third-party domains manually here. 

If your domain issues persist after this time, please be sure to get connected with our support on this page here so the team can help you out! Have the following details ready:

Let me know if I can assist any further.

Amucham123
Visitor
1 0 0

Please am currently faced with this issue , please kindly help me resolve it Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 10.06.28 PM.png

mescex
Visitor
2 0 0
I contacted Shopify through its support mail and they helped me out.
Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi @Amucham123

You'll want to contact our Help Center for assistance with this. Please see the reply above yours for details on how to do this. 

If there is anything else I can assist with, don't hesitate to ask.

Robotkingster
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello My Name is Jacob I’ve recently bought a new domain and when trying to link it to my Shopify it says that it’s already being used, please email me at robotkingster@gmail.com and I have proof that I bought the domain from google. Thank you.

Ren
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1032 66 153

Hi Jacob, 

Great news that you have proof of your domain purchase. To proceed with retrieving your domain, 

please get connected with our support on this page here with the following details ready:

Thank you!