I designed shopify site: How to transfre/ change payment and registration details to owner?

maou42
1 0 0

Hi

I have created a shopify site on behalf of someone else. I paid for the cost so far and setup the site with my details (address, payment).
What is the easiest way to transfer owner ship of it?
I will still be making modifications to the site but can do it whhen I am given access by the owner.
But I am about to enter their bank details/ name etc...

I do not want tgis to delete the work done so fa.

Thank you

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
834 66 202

Hi, @maou42!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

Before you can transfer store ownership to your client, you'll just need to head over to Settings > Plans and permissions > Permissions > Transfer ownership. Once there, you'll be able to select your client if they already have a staff account. If not, then you can simply enter their name and email address. They'll then receive an email prompting them to accept the ownership transfer. 

Keep in mind that your billing information will also need to be updated. If your client is willing to provide you with their billing information, then you can choose to manage your billing information before you transfer ownership. Otherwise, your client will be able to update their payment method once ownership is transferred. They can also add you as a staff member so you can continue working on the store for them. 

That being said, I strongly recommended that you sign up to become a Shopify Partner if you plan on continuing to develop stores for clients. It's totally free to sign up, and as a Shopify Partner, you'll have access to free development stores, which are specifically intended for those who are developing stores for clients. This means that you won't need to select and pay for a plan while developing the store. Once you've finished developing the store, you'll easily be able to transfer ownership to your client, at which point they'll be prompted to enter their personal information and select a plan. 

As a Shopify Partner, you can also continue working on your clients' stores after ownership is transferred. To do so, you can request collaborator access to your clients' store. While collaborator accounts will allow you to continue working on the store, they will not count towards your clients' staff limits. This is really beneficial for your clients, since they can reserve their staff accounts for actual staff members.

Aside from getting free access to development stores, you can also earn recurring commission based on the plan your client chooses. This is an excellent way to earn even more revenue as a developer. Since you're already developing stores for clients, it sounds like the Shopify Partner Program is a perfect fit for you. If you'd like to learn more about the Shopify Partner Program and the features you'll get access to, you can do so here.

I hope this clears things up and I'd love to hear what you think about the Shopify Partner Program. If you have any questions about becoming a Shopify Partner, just let me know! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes