I don 't think Shopify understands Shopify

Solved
Excursionist
16 2 7

O.K... Now that I said it, lets talk about it. First off I'm talking to you from someone who owns a Shopify store, who studied the concept of Shopify, researched it, was captivated by it. Well my store failed. I lost my savings, my job, hardly survived Covid-19. Now it's not the end of the world, obviously, but I want to talk about how little genuine support there is from Shopify as a business. Now I am not against Shopify or anti-Shopify. So understand this comes from a place of honest respect for Shopify as a idea of hope for people. You offer this "Sign Up Now" packaged idea to people, then offer no true help. No one who you can call and ask questions from the heart. No voice to hear to know your cared about. I've reached out multiple times for help and mostly the only answers I've got are the standard style, "sign up for "this" product" and we'll increase your sales 100 fold." We'll that's a pipe dream. So I'm reaching out to all 757,006 Shopify members right here as a man who is about to shut his store down and walk away. Is there ONE person out off all 3/4 of a million of you who can genuinely help me.  Standunitedsurvival.com is my store.

Excursionist
16 2 7

O.K... Now that I said it, lets talk about it. First off I'm talking to you from someone who owns a Shopify store, who studied the concept of Shopify, researched it, was captivated by it. Well my store failed. I lost my savings, my job, hardly survived Covid-19. Now it's not the end of the world, obviously, but I want to talk about how little genuine support there is from Shopify as a business. Now I am not against Shopify or anti-Shopify. So understand this comes from a place of honest respect for Shopify as a idea of hope for people. You offer this "Sign Up Now" packaged idea to people, then offer no true help. No one who you can call and ask questions from the heart. No voice to hear to know your cared about. I've reached out multiple times for help and mostly the only answers I've got are the standard style, "sign up for "this" product" and we'll increase your sales 100 fold." We'll that's a pipe dream. So I'm reaching out to all 757,006 Shopify members right here as a man who is about to shut his store down and walk away. Is there ONE person out off all 3/4 of a million of you who can genuinely help me.  Standunitedsurvival.com is my store.

0 Likes
1 0 0

i agree Ive been trying to reach someone for 24hrs now. this customer service is terrible. I wonder what other platforms people suggest 

0 Likes
Excursionist
16 2 7

I don't believe it's about a different platform option, nor do I think that would help. Look, if you think going to a different platform is the answer, go, but I think your going to run the same issue. Shopify is the best, most integrated platform out there. There is no question about that. And there is this community forum, yes, but what I would like to see is really just a number to call with questions or issues. Or a chat that is real time. There is a lot of opportunity here for someone to succeed and prosper. God, just a little help without paying a small fortune would be helpful. They don't understand that if you don't make money you can not pay for better services and products to grow. They advertise you can start your own business for just a few dollars. That's just simply not true and it can lead people down a dangerous path. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
312 26 78

Hey, @Hunter_7115.

Olivia here from the Shopify Team. 

I appreciate you reaching out to our network and sharing your experience. As a fellow entrepreneur I can very much appreciate some of the struggles you have shared. As someone on the inside, I can also tell you that our success at Shopify truly lies in the success of our merchants. 

Here at Shopify, we invest an incredible amount of time and resources to create relevant content for our merchants, with topics on everything from marketing to customer retention to social media trends. We further invest heavily into our support staff to empower them with the types of business coaching skills that can aid merchants at any point in their journey. Many of us are entrepreneurs ourselves and truly enjoy sharing success stories and helping you triumph over obstacles. 

I invite you to share your questions with us on this public forum, and I trust our community members will also chime in to share their own perspectives. 

I look forward to connecting.

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Excursionist
16 2 7

Thank you Olivia for responding in timely manner, let me set the record a little clearer. I believe in and support, very highly, of Shopify as a structure and it being a wonderful opportunity for people. About 2 years ago I read an article about Shopify and the ability its has, to help people achieve the pride and freedom of being their own bosses. Well, being someone who either worked in the darkness of the American foundries and also the front lines of the military, in some of the worst places in the world, so being my own boss sounded pretty good to me. Well in August of this year I mustered the courage to take my leap of faith and follow suit. I started my store and day one, I was lost, but I drove on. I adapted, made changes, read though your forums, watched YouTube videos, and the trend I experienced was the "general" lack of interest in personal support. There was nobody there to tell me they we're going to help you figure out individual questions or concerns, no matter how big or small. No one was there to talk to, Hunter.

Now, I know you are a successful business owner. You said so yourself in your message to me, but regrettably, as ashamed to inform you of this I may be, I am not a success story, and I have no idea why. I work my 40+ hours a week on my store, I watched treads, I followed other stores and now I know my store is not the best one out there on the web, but it's mine, and it's the best I could do. I did reach out for help in the Shopify Expert section, which was a service that was also daunting. The idea of (tier based) quality of assistance, based on the amount you pay, was nerve racking to say the least. I know nothing is free in the business world and I know my store is far from flawless, but when you put a request for help out there and the responses you get are so ingenuine, it can give the feeling of being alone in the Shopify world. 

Olivia, If you looked at my original message, respectfully, you would have noticed I asked all 3/4 of a million online Shopify users for help... or as I write this, 757,968 actually, so more then 3/4 of a million. Do you see one of the people from your staff reaching out to offer help? No. All I got was a complaint from a fellow customer. Which I responded, too. My concern is the general lack of genuine interest in Hunter, me. You'd have a lot more success story's to talk about, if you talked people through not failing. 

Olivia, Sincerely, thank you for being the first person to engage in this discussion with me from a Shopify team. Please know I'm not going to give up on growing and improving my store, or even a new store in the future. Just maybe in your next team meeting, maybe bring up with your superiors, the idea of a help line to call. Or if there is one. Posting it where people can find it. Thank you for your time. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
312 26 78

This is an accepted solution.

Thank you for your response, @Hunter_7115.

I noticed you had a duplicate thread on this matter, so I went ahead and merged the topics to create the best experience for you and our merchants. 

As such I'm playing catch up with the previous discussion you are having with a fellow community member, @akimaardonb, and I want to assure both of you that we are here to offer our support as best we can. We offer 24/7 assistance 365 days a year, and these are all the ways you can get in touch. 

I am genuinely sorry to hear that you haven't feel heard, seen, or supported thus far. I will try my best to positively impact your journey, and I encourage you to connect with myself, or our Support staff, for free business coaching and 1:1 support.

With that being said, I would like to thank you for opening up to us and letting us learn more about you, @Hunter_7115. Starting your own business is no small task, and we recognize that. Statistics show that 75% of businesses fail in the first year, and I certainly was not immune to that. On a personal level, I have gone to business school and can frankly say that I have learned more from Shopify about running a business than I did pursuing my business degree. A personal tip that has helped me tremendously is to celebrate the small wins, no matter how small - they add up to be the big ones.

Shopify Support staff comes from all sorts of different backgrounds, and the one thing we all have in common is an entrepreneurial spirit and a desire to colour outside of the box. This is what helps us connect with our merchants - not that we all run successful businesses, but that we truly understand the struggle and work that goes into building something from the ground. 

Does that mean Shopify has all the answers? Probably not, but it is built into the DNA of our company to empower merchants and individuals like never before in history. Today you can start your very own business at the click of a mouse. Gone are the days where you have to lease a physical space to open a brick and mortar store to build a brand, now you can reach the entire world at your fingertips. We build integrations with other platforms to help you streamline business activities and conduct research on growing trends and market patterns, all to give you more time to focus on honing your product and building value for your customers. 

I commend your patience, perseverance, and willingness to work towards your end goal. 

Thank you for letting us be part of this journey with you.

Wishing you nothing but future success,

Excursionist
16 2 7

Well said, Olivia. As I do not have a school background for business. I do have a background in watching my father and his father start, build and grow businesses from the ground up. I received your email and can now say, though a very few areas of Shopify my lack, your sincerity does not. I'm not going to quit. As I said before, I also see Shopify for the DNA that makes it what it is. I know that what is making my store unsuccessful is something lacking in it's design, but for all the study and stress I've put into it, I cannot for the life of me find the flaw. I went from getting 50-60 visits a day and 4-5 sales a week, low numbers I know, but then one day I decided to re-vamp my store, making it cleaner and more professional. Since that day I've not made a single sale. Not one. that was November 3rd. I've trouble-shot everything. Everything worked. I bought products myself to make sure that work. It was perfect. Now for some reason I'm lucky to get 5 people to my site a day, but with zero sales of course. 

So I will be taking you up on your offer to connect with you and your support staff. Our conversation has been motivating and reassuring. Thank you for your help and good luck with your business and success. If you happen to have a store I'd like to know. Maybe your example can help.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
312 26 78

This is an accepted solution.

I appreciate that, @Hunter_7115.

I can see that you have asked for front-end feedback on your store in other threads, so I'd like to take a deeper look at the Admin part of your store that visitors don't see. There's a lot of information that can be revealed in:

I will need to authenticate you in order for you to grant me access to your site, so let's move this discussion over to email.

Please keep an eye on your inbox and reply to me there.

Warm regards,