I don't want to charge a customer until an order is fulfilled.. how do i do that???

submarinegolf
1 0 0

i am new to shopify. how do i make sure a customer's credit card is not charged until the order is fulfilled??

0 Likes
Miles
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
460 66 107

Hi, @submarinegolf!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. If you're using Shopify Payments, you can choose to manually capture the payment from the customer when it suits you. All credit card payment providers have an authorization period to allow a charge to be made to a customer's credit card. The authorization process first checks that the credit card is valid, and then that the card has enough funds on it for the transaction.

The authorization period will end after a certain amount of time. The length of the authorization period depends on your credit card payment provider. You need to capture a payment within the authorization period to collect money for your order.

Shopify Payments provides an authorization period of 7 days. You will not be able to capture the payment after this time, so it's imperative that you only use this option if you fulfill orders within 7 days.

To set up manual capture of payments, follow these steps:

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Payments.
  2. In the Payment capture section, select Manually capture payment for orders.
  3. Optional: If you use Shopify Payments and you want to receive emails before the authorization period for each order ends, then check "Send a warning email when authorizations are close to expiring". If you select this option but you don't use Shopify Payments, you won't receive warning emails.
  4. Click Save.

It's important to note that you will need to manually capture these payments. You will not be able to set it up to capture the payment at the time of fulfillment automatically.

You've also mentioned that you're new to Shopify. I hope you're having fun setting up your store. We're here 24/7 to help support you, so please reach out at any time if you need us. We have a great help center that can help answer most of your questions too. A great place to start is our introduction guide, which will walk through everything from signing up to making your first sale. You can check it out here.

I also recommend checking out Shopify Compass. Shopify Compass provides you with free webinars and courses on things like store design, marketing and more. I'd love to hear about your business.

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes