I'm a Business Looking to Transfer to Shopify - Would Like Some Questions Answered!

Solved
SCL
Tourist
4 0 0

Hello everyone!

I'm from a medium-sized independent retail furniture store. We currently use WooCommerce for the build of our website. We haven't sold online with it before, but are now wanting to delve into Shopify. As an aside, we do run a separate business using WooCommere that DOES sell online - so we are relatively familiar with the process of selling and shipping online (albeit for smaller products). We feel, given the size of our business, and for the sake of simplicity (KISS), we should jump on to Shopify.

I was hoping to speak with someone from Shopify, but I'll try here first! My questions relate to the operation of the business/what plan should be best for us. We're open to any suggestions. I feel some of the answers will be "just get it developed" which we're certainly open to having done.

I feel Shopify Plus may not necessarily be for us. In store, we do sell just less than $5 million, but are looking to grow that number. We're not planning on selling internationally. My first question is whether Plus would be for us, or is that more reserved for the bigger chains like Walmart or The Home Depot? If so, then what plan would you recommend for us?

My other big question is regarding software and our POS. Our current POS does not have Shopify integration at this time. Our inventory is on a shared server which we balance between our three stores. Adding Shopify, we were thinking for new sales (and to keep track of inventory), we would need to receive the order via Shopify, then manually input the order into our POS for it to be adjusted for inventory. My question is whether Shopify requires inventory numbers on products in order for them to be sold online. I ask because to manually adjust inventory on a daily basis would be very cumbersome.

Additionally, we do special orders - the option for customers to choose their fabric options. If I need to input inventory into the system, can I use variable products with separate inventory values? My current WooCommerce setup does not allow for that.

My last big question is regarding shipping: we know most of our furniture would need to be shipped via freight. Tracking is not necessarily available for that, nor would having set prices for shipping - as it would vary by weight, skid size, etc. Does Shopify have apps available to assist with the calculation of shipping such complicated products, or would we be looking into additional development?

My smaller questions are whether we can push sales in the back end? We've had customers in the past who are unfamiliar with online buying (still!) and we've put orders through for them on the back end. Does Shopify allow for that?

Related: for returns and restocking fees, or adjusting prices after the sale is done, do we have the option to adjusting invoices in the backend?

Without going too deep into more questions, that's all I have for now!

Thank you kindly!

0 Likes
Joseph_Atomic
Tourist
3 2 2

This is an accepted solution.

Hey SCL,

I'm Joseph from the team at Atomic Returns! First off, welcome to the Shopify community! I think you'll be really happy with the platform compared to WooCommerce.

Linked here is a great article from Kurt Elster (a Shopify expert/podcast host) about the benefits of Shopify Plus. From my experience, it really depends on the use case of Plus features for your business along with the financial aspect of saving money on credit card fees.

Shopify doesn't require inventory to be tracked however it may be worth looking into if integration could be built or eventually migrating to Shopify POS.

I've seen merchants use the Shipping Rules‑ Shipping Rates app to set up shipping charges that are more complex than what can be done in the shipping settings.

You can create draft orders in the backend and send emails for people to complete payment or take payment over the phone!

Shopify has basic back-end return functionality built-in. At Atomic Returns, we have built an app that allows you to set up advanced, automated return workflows that make for a great customer experience. Feel free to reach out to our team when you need help getting set up with returns!

HKJ
Pathfinder
84 4 11

@SCL wrote:

Hello everyone!

I'm from a medium-sized independent retail furniture store. We currently use WooCommerce for the build of our website. We haven't sold online with it before, but are now wanting to delve into Shopify. As an aside, we do run a separate business using WooCommere that DOES sell online - so we are relatively familiar with the process of selling and shipping online (albeit for smaller products). We feel, given the size of our business, and for the sake of simplicity (KISS), we should jump on to Shopify.

I was hoping to speak with someone from Shopify, but I'll try here first! My questions relate to the operation of the business/what plan should be best for us. We're open to any suggestions. I feel some of the answers will be "just get it developed" which we're certainly open to having done.

I feel Shopify Plus may not necessarily be for us. In store, we do sell just less than $5 million, but are looking to grow that number. We're not planning on selling internationally. My first question is whether Plus would be for us, or is that more reserved for the bigger chains like Walmart or The Home Depot? If so, then what plan would you recommend for us?

My other big question is regarding software and our POS. Our current POS does not have Shopify integration at this time. Our inventory is on a shared server which we balance between our three stores. Adding Shopify, we were thinking for new sales (and to keep track of inventory), we would need to receive the order via Shopify, then manually input the order into our POS for it to be adjusted for inventory. My question is whether Shopify requires inventory numbers on products in order for them to be sold online. I ask because to manually adjust inventory on a daily basis would be very cumbersome.

Additionally, we do special orders - the option for customers to choose their fabric options. If I need to input inventory into the system, can I use variable products with separate inventory values? My current WooCommerce setup does not allow for that.

My last big question is regarding shipping: we know most of our furniture would need to be shipped via freight. Tracking is not necessarily available for that, nor would having set prices for shipping - as it would vary by weight, skid size, etc. Does Shopify have apps available to assist with the calculation of shipping such complicated products, or would we be looking into additional development?

My smaller questions are whether we can push sales in the back end? We've had customers in the past who are unfamiliar with online buying (still!) and we've put orders through for them on the back end. Does Shopify allow for that?

Related: for returns and restocking fees, or adjusting prices after the sale is done, do we have the option to adjusting invoices in the backend?

Without going too deep into more questions, that's all I have for now!

Thank you kindly!

I think @Joseph_Atomic answered most if your questions, but I don't see that he answered about variable products with separate inventory values. The short answer is yes, a product lising can have multiple variants with different prices and inventory.

SCL
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for answering my questions! From the looks of things (and after watching that video you linked), it looks like I can go down the rabbit-hole with many options. I'm certainly glad inventory doesn't need to be tracked - that's a relief and saves us some trouble from having to do inventory daily (and between so many locations!)

I guess my big, big question is: We're used to custom coding with WooCommerce. Is that available with any plan in Shopify, or should I be looking at a particular one? Or could I just go with any plan and choose the proper App? It's familiar-yet-new ground to me.

I'll post more questions in a new thread when they come along!

Thank you again!

0 Likes
Joseph_Atomic
Tourist
3 2 2

This is an accepted solution.

Hey SCL,

Glad my answers were helpful! Re custom code, you can only add custom code to the checkout pages(distinct from the cart) on Shopify Plus but all other pages can be custom coded on any plan!