I'm confused about Vendor and Supplier

Excursionist
19 0 3

Hi,

I'm new to Shopify, trying to get my store up and running for a March 1 launch, our 9th anniversary. I'm very confused about the difference between the vendor and supplier. I read this in help documentation: 

• You order your products from a supplier. You can have multiple suppliers.
  • A vendor is associated with the brand of the product, so there can only be one vendor. You specify the vendor in the product's details.

This isn't helpful for 2 reasons. First, is this saying the "Vendor" is essentially the manufacturer -- which I'm guessing is the case as there can only be one of those -- while the "Supplier" is where we buy it from? I don't see anywhere to set up a Supplier, by the way, and haven't found documentation on how to add those. I know who my supplies are, and in my current system (StoresOnline), I have a drop-down to select who I contact to restock. That's really what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance,

Sarah

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
686 101 220

Hi - yes you have vendor and supplier correct.

Vendor - is what I would call brand or manufacturer e.g. Nike, Adidas etc.

Supplier - is, as you say, who you order those products from

You're right that Supplier isn't something that is obviously there in Shopify but it is there under Products > Transfers. That is where you can create your Suppliers.

Also this come into play when you use an app called Stocky, which is a Shopify app included for 'free' in their plans 'Shopify' & 'Advanced Shopify' (just not the Basic plan). Stocky uses the concept of Supplier & Vendor.

It sounds like Stocky might be what you are after to replace your old functionality.

Hope that helps.

If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
19 0 3

Hi -- thank you very much for your help and especially for that recommendation. I am not an idiot but I'm finding setting up Shopify to be alarmingly unclear. I am glad for this community and people like you. Thanks!!

0 Likes