I want disable Google's Captcha

Highlighted
1 0 1

Hello,

here is my problem. I have a shopify shop to test my app, and I have to test create automatic tests.

The problem is that when my test wants to put my password and my login I have the Google captcha that

appears from time to time. In order to be able to develop my test, I have to deactivate Google's captcha.

Please keep me informed

1 Like
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3073 231 501

Hi @Gautier_Hubault,

Nick here from Shopify. Good question!

You can remove the Google captcha from your store should you wish. You can do this by taking the following steps:

Store Admin > Online Store > Preferences > Checkout Protection > Untick Google ReCaptcha

This should take away any ReCaptcha from your store. 

Hope this helps!

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 1 1

@Nick,

Is this still an option?

All I see at Store Admin > Online Store > Preferences  are options for:

• Title and meta description
  • Google Analytics
  • Facebook Pixel
  • Password protection

There are no Checkout Protection options. It would be very useful to be able to disable ReCaptcha during development.

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

1 Like
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3073 231 501

Hi @kevinsipe,

Thanks for reaching out. It is still an option. Can I ask what Shopify Plan you are on? The ability to turn the reCaptcha on and off from the admin is something which is only available with the Shopify Plus plan. Apologies as I should have been more clear in my initial reply above and mentioned that. 

02-58-fja6d-8v717

Something to remember is that whenever a customer account creation attempt is made more than once in a 24 hour period from a single IP address, a page with a captcha is loaded to help protect your customer list from being inundated with spam customer account creation. During normal website operation, most of your customers won't encounter this page unless they've made an error signing up, or try to add a large volume of accounts. For this reason, I'm afraid this isn't a feature that you can turn off on your storefront. Did you try and do a checkout from one IP address multiple times as a test? If so, this is what might have caused this to pop up for you. 

Hope this helps. 

All the best, Nick

2 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 1 1

@Nick ,

Well there’s my problem. I’m not on the plus plan. I still think it would be a useful option for users to be able to disable captcha during development. It really slows down the process. 

Maybe while the shop is password protected?

Thank you for your reply,

Kevin

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3073 231 501

Hi @kevinsipe,

It would be the same whether or not the store is password protected in this particular scenario. 

I completely understand where you are coming from and will put this through as a feature request to our development team for future reference. Would you be able to touch on any advantages this would have for your store/ business so when I mention this I can give a reason for the want. The more information I can offer when putting through the request the better for our development team as it helps them understand the "why" and benefit for the store owner. 

Cheers, Nick

0 Likes
Highlighted

If you want to cancel captcha this is the solution for you  Store Admin> Online Store> Preferences

However, when google or any forum you want to enter captcha, there is a reason that is confidential. However, because of your needs, you should not be able to give up the work

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I also want to disable this - it is a real disincentive to my customers siging up to my newsletter - it is ugly, it is hard to navigate and it is unncessary - what are the options for those of us not on Shop Plus?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3073 231 501

Hi @FoundersFormula,

The captcha being referred to above is for the checkout and not the newsletter. Would you be able to share your store link or a link to the newsletter where I can see the captcha to fully understand it? It's difficult to troubleshoot and look into this without seeing it and knowing more. Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Something to remember though, Newsletter signups can attract bots that spam Customer lists. If you have a newsletter subscription box available to your customers, it's possible that the form will be harassed by bots. This can be a product of someone testing the security of a site. It can also be a byproduct of a marketing firm suggesting they can get the company more customers and inflating their numbers. I understand it might not look exactly pretty, but this is something to think about when looking to remove it. 

0 Likes