I want to change my currency (even though I've made my first sale)

Solved
SC2
Tourist
9 0 3

Hi there, I want to change the currency in my store -enyasattic.com. However, because I've made sales already I've prevented from doing so. How can I rectify this?  Thanks!

0 Likes
Ash
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
772 86 116

Hey, @SC2!

Ash here from the Shopify team. Thank you for posting your question in the Shopify Community forums. 

Once a shop makes its first sale, the currency selector is automatically locked for a number of reasons. Our team can remove this lock, but it's important you understand why it's applied in the first place. The main impacts on your store when changing selling currency are:

• Reporting: With switching between currencies, our reporting doesn't factor in the difference between currencies. So if you had $500 USD processed, that would show as $500 in reports. Say next day you switch to CAD, the report would still read as $500 for previous processing. Since $1 CAD is not equal to $1 USD, the reports in theory will be wrong going forward. A workaround for this is to use date filters to view data before or after the change. 

• Product Pricing: Since the dollar amount between currencies is not the same, a product price’s value, could mean something different if currency is adjusted and impact margins. Ex - $20 CAD, is not equal to $20 USD. Refunds processed after a currency change will also be affected by the currency change.

• Apps: Some apps may have limitations when it comes to changing selling currency. If you're concerned about how changing selling currency will affect the apps you use, I suggest reaching out to the App developer(s) to clarify before changing the selling currency.

• Gift Cards: Gift cards with remaining balances in the old selling currency will not work once the selling currency of the store has been changed. You can always cancel and re-issue any outstanding gift cards. 

• Shipping: Any shipping rates for a store will maintain the previous currency and will not update automatically. After a currency change, you will need to delete the previous rates and add them back in manually to list them in the new currency.

If you'd like to proceed with changing your currency after familiarizing yourself with these impacts, please head over to our Help Center and start a support ticket via phone, chat or email. While I would love to assist here, in order to make adjustments to your account we will first need to authenticate you on the account in question and at this time that can only be completed via phone, chat or email. There may be times that the phone option is not available due to business volume, but chat and email should remain available 24/7. 

For anyone else with a similar request, please familiarize yourself with the above points as well and then reach out to our support team via the above link. 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

SC2
Tourist
9 0 3

Hi Ash,

Thanks so much for your quick response and advice. As it is, I haven't made many sales at this stage anyway (though I hope to change that soon!) I'm based in Europe but my currency is in dollars and as I really want to push into the market here I think it makes more sense to be set up in Euro.

Thanks again!

0 Likes
SC2
Tourist
9 0 3

Hi Ash,

Sorry, I'm just coming back to you to ask if you could add in a link to where I can start a support ticket via chat or email - I went over to the Help center but I keep getting caught in a loop of arriving back at Shopify Community and Discussions! I can't see where I can actually speak to someone via chat.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Siobhan

0 Likes
Ash
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
772 86 116

I'm happy you found the information in my reply helpful, @SC2!

As for contacting support to get assistance actioning your request, my apologies that the previous link I sent over didn't help. Could you please try using this link to reach the page where you can contact our support team? That should take you directly to the page where you can select a support option. 

Let me know if you still experience any issues by replying here, and I hope to see your request taken care of shortly! 

0 Likes
Basra982
Tourist
3 0 1

As for contacting support to get assistance actioning your request, my apologies that the previous link I sent over didn't help. Could you please try using this link to reach the page where you can contact our support team? That should take you directly to the page where you can select a support option. 

Let me know if you still experience any issues by replying here, and I hope to see your request taken care of shortly! 

---------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Sir

SC2
Tourist
9 0 3

Hi Ash,

Actually, that's not working either!  When I click on the link you suggested I have the option to chat or email but when I pick either one, I have to input my shop details (which I do) and then I'm brought back into this page- https://help.shopify.com/en/questions#/questions which doesn't seem to have an option for chat or email!!  can you advise? Thanks!

0 Likes
Ash
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
772 86 116

Hey, @SC2!

That definitely sounds frustrating. I just clicked on the link you shared and did some testing.

From the link you shared, type anything into the search bar and hit enter. For my test I just typed in "help". Scroll down past the results and click "Continue" under where it says "Get support". There you will see the options to contact support once again. While logging into your shop should allow you to continue with one of the selected methods, if you're experiencing some sort of a loop when doing that, try clicking "I don't have a Shopify store". Then you should be able to start a ticket and you can explain that you do indeed have a store, but experienced issues with the Help Center. 

I've logged your experience with our team as well so we can look deeper into the loop you experienced. Thank you for bringing that to my attention, and I hope that what I've shared above helps you get the support you need! 

0 Likes
SC2
Tourist
9 0 3

Ash, You're a ROCKSTAR! That worked!! ...And I spoke to someone and rectified the problem. Thanks so much for your help and patience. Have a lovely day. 

Ash
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
772 86 116

This is an accepted solution.

My pleasure, @SC2. I'm happy to hear that worked out and you were able to get your initial request actioned.

Wishing you all the best, and feel free to post in the Shopify Community Forums if you have any further questions or need any assistance. Our team is always happy to help, and our Community users often have great insights to share as well!