I want to connect second domain to my existing shopify store

Ismail_2021
11 0 0

Hi, I already have a domain and existing store on shopify however I purchased a second domain and wanted to connect it to my existing store but I found shopify forcing me to open a new store and connected that new domain to that new store, I do not want to build any new second store, just connect the second domain I purchased from shopify to my existing old store. Is this possible?

Replies 5 (5)

Edward-Newgate
Shopify Partner
570 22 61

Hi @Ismail_2021 

I found this guide from Ted on the same question. 

Hope it helps!

Was my reply helpful? Click Like or Mark it as an Accepted Solution to let me know!

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Ismail_2021,

Nick here from Shopify. 

It's definitely possible to add multiple domains to your store, but there can only be one primary domain (and up to 9 subdomains). The others will act as subdomains and re-direct to your store and then show the primary domain at the location. You don't need to open a second store to have multiple domains. As @Edward-Newgate touched on, someone from Shopify shared this in a previous topic, but I will share the domain connecting guide with you here directly also. 

You can see a YouTube tutorial on how to do this below:

You can see more about root and subdomains here for context on that aspect. 

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions! 

Thanks, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Ismail_2021
11 0 0

Hi,

I did not buy the second domain from a third party like google or go daddy I bought it directly from shopify, the above guides are about how to connect a third party domain which is not my case, actually once I bought a second domain it forced me to open a second store on shopify but I can not find any option to allow me to connect the second domain to my existing store 

Ismail_2021
11 0 0

thanks guys it works in a similar way

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1024

Hi @Ismail_2021,

That is strange that it forced you to start a new store to buy a domain. You can transfer it to the store you want with the following steps:

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Domains.
  2. Click Manage to open the settings for the domain that you want to transfer.

3. Click Transfer domain.

4. Click Transfer to another Shopify store.

5. Confirm that your registrar information and your associated email address are up to date, then click Send transfer link. You'll receive an email that contains a transfer link.

Once you've transferred it over you can then close the extra store you had to open for this. Let me know if you have any other questions about it! 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.