IP ban customer from buying from or even seeing my store?

Highlighted
Excursionist
31 0 20

Occasionally a difficult customer becomes so problematic that I'd prefer to just ban them from my store completely, or at the very least make it much harder for them to purchase from my store by banning their IP address.  Is there a way to do it?  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
473 41 104

Hi, @MDD!

Julie here from Shopify Support. Thanks for reaching out.

I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with a difficult customer. As hard as you may try, it can often be challenging to please every customer. While most situations can be defused with good customer service, occasionally you'll run into customers who can be rude, hateful, or abusive. 

In these cases, if you believe that it's appropriate to ban the customer from your online store entirely, then I recommend looking into an app like Shop Secure, IP Blocker & Country Redirector Traffic Guard. All of these apps have great reviews and will allow you to block specific IP addresses. Although these apps are generally used to combat fraud, it sounds like they would also suit your needs. 

That being said, there are some other ways you can handle these troubling situations. In fact, we actually have some some resources on how manage difficult customers in the Shopify Blog. One blog post, "How to Stop Customer Complaints Before They Happen" offers some proactive steps you can take to help prevent customer complaints. In this post, you'll learn about the most common sources of customer complaints and how to fix them before your customers have the chance to get frustrated.

Another blog post worth the read is, "Customer Service Tips: How to Deal With Angry Customers". This post offers some great advice on how to respond to customer complaints. It also includes some strategies on how to defuse situations and turn negative situations into positive customer experiences. 

I hope you find these resources useful. If you have any further questions, feel free to respond here and we can carry on the conversation!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
31 0 20

My situation has nothing to do with customer service or angry customers, thanks for your suggestion but I do not require an education on those topics.  I occasionally get customers who want me to provide a product for their counterfeit goods, and I will not knowingly support fake goods, so I want to ban those people from my store so they can't even see my store if possible, I do not want to sell goods to people who are supporting counterfeit items.

Also, in a similar vein, I refuse to pay a monthly fee (which shopify surely gets a percentage of) to a third party for functionality that should already be included in the Shopify platform that I already pay for on a monthly basis.  I think it's a borderline scam that shopify intentionally leaves functionality out of your platform so that you can then create a third party marketplace that resells that functionality to users for a fee.  

If there isn't a baked-in way to ban customers from my store I'll just add it to my growing list of functionality that shopify doesn't provide.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Explorer
145 2 9

Hi there!

If you want to block certain customers from visiting your website and preventing unwanted sales, you may potentially block the visitors by geo location, if the location is high risk spam area.

For example, you may use Geo Targetly, specifically, its Geo Block tool. It can identify your visitors' location by IP and auto block visitors from certain areas, for example, by city, according to your blocking rules. You can easily set up the location segment for banning visitors.

If you are interested, you may take a look at the website: https://geotargetly.com/geo-block

Hope it helps!

1 Like