Ideas on what to sell - popular stores?

Excursionist
2 0 0

If someone is planning to start a new store, what are the recommendations  and tips on what to sell?

Is there a list of popular stores? or search engine for stores that have large number of products that implies they are big stores? Or a way to research to learn about the competition?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
311 14 46

Hey, there!

Karlie here from the Shopify Guru Team! When first starting out with creating your business and finding a product to sell you're going to want to find a niche. There are plenty of online retailers, so you need to find something that sets your business apart from the crowd as well as something that is needed in a particular market.

You would want to start by doing some research. I would recommend looking into trending products, popular online retailers and even checking on social media to see what sort of trending tags are or what products people are purchasing. You can even check out some successful businesses that have used the Shopify platform to see what types of products are selling online these days. 

Finding a niche or a set market may take some research on your end, but we do have some handy resources to help you find the product to sell. Be sure to take a read through; Niche Products: How to Find Profitable, In-Demand Products to Sell, Selecting a Product & Niche and Rev Up Your Revenues: 10 Trending Products to Sell in 2019.

Next, you will want to look into how to obtain these products to sell. If you're not carrying your own stock then you would want to look into using a vendor, wholesaler or a dropshipping company. Dropshipping is an interesting concept and something that you can start with a low budget, which makes dropshipping an amazing component to an online store. Choosing the dropshipping method works by allowing you to sell products supplied by a company, the company would then fulfil and ship your order out to your customers for you. If you're curious, you can read more about dropshipping in The Ultimate Guide to Dropshipping.

I hope this has answered your question. If not, or if you have any further questions please let me know. I will be happy to help!

*Karlie* | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
8 0 0

You can definitely spy on stores that are crushing it and selling a lot.
Use Xpareto for this + the similarweb chrome extension to see competitors stores traffic which will give you a rough idea of the sales trend in that perticular store or you can start using a product research tool. Such as Alishark or EcomXFactor.

After being in the dropshipping for more than 3 years and testing all of the platforms you've mentioned, my team and I created EcomXFactor.
EcomXFactor Gives You Everything You Need To Launch and Scale Your Ecommerce Store
(Without Wasting Time and Money Testing Products That Don’t Work).

Unlike other product research tools, we limit our user base in order to prevent saturation of our winning products.
We offer
-Potential Winning Products Hand Picked By Experts
-Copywriting Suggestions for Your Ads and Product Pages
-Facebook, Instagram and Google Targeting Suggestions
-Ready-to-Download Product Videos and Images
-Product Specific Tips and Angles for Increasing Conversion Rates and Profits
-Benchmarks and Product Related Data

Obviously I'm biased as I am the founder of this platform, but I truly believe it's the most advanced platform for product research in the market and we love hearing feedback and improving our offer based on our customers' needs.

0 Likes