Image uploads via sftp, scp etc..?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 2

Hello!  Is there any way I can sftp, scp, etc.. to upload images in bulk to my shopfiy account?  I'm going to be uploading thousands of products via a CSV file and it would be a real pain in the rear end if I have to get a hosting plan somewhere and post my images publically just so I can reference their public URLs in my CSV file for import by shopify, I would much prefer to just upload them directly to shopify and reference them directly.  Is this possible?  

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
292 5 40

Hey, Matthew!

When you import your products with images, Shopify anyway copies those images from that external link to your Shopify store. So after importing products, you don't need to host those images on the external hosting anymore - just for that one import.

The thing is - you can't FTP/SFTP files directly into Shopify Admin Files section unless you have Shopify Plus.

I don't know if that's for you, but, in case you will decide to use the Excelify.io app to bulk import your many products, and in case you decide to use the Enterprise Plan, then you can utilize our Image Server where you can upload images from desktop app (like CrossFTP), and reference them in your imports.

Here is the tutorial on referencing images in your imports - the same principle works with whatever image hosting service you decide to use, but it's our suggested way to reference them easily in bulk:

https://excelify.io/2018/02/24/bulk-import-images-shopify-from-computer/

One thing that could make you consider using Excelify, is that you can import several images from the same cell, separate images by ; (semicolon) - don't have to put them in different rows. Oh, and the other thing is that you can import CSV file up to 2 GB in size, and you can zip it before uploading, to make smaller.

Maris

Excelify.io | Bulk Import Export Update Migrate | https://excelify.io
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 2

Thank you very much for the reply.  Excelify looks useful, but in all honesty I don't want to pay a monthly fee just to move files around.  This is my first time using this type of cart service and I'm really surprised basic functionality such as sftp to upload files isn't supported by default.  

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Matthew. Did you ever settle on a solution for this issue? I'm trying to figure out how I want to handle this same problem right now. 

0 Likes