Images exceeding 20 MegaPixels!

Dstar
Visitor
1 0 0

I have been trying to upload my images for hours and every time it says image exceeded 20 Megapixels. The photos were taken on my iphone, converted to jpg, and put into photoshop. I want the end result to be a transparent background png. Could anyone tell me what im doing wrong or the exact pixels height, width, pixels per inch for my template so I can upload all of them? Please and thank you! For more context, I am trying to upload a picture of a shirt to my product images

Replies 23 (23)

Fretshirt
Tourist
3 0 1

Same here for any image.

Even those we've previously uploaded successfully.

Clearly something wrong.

I also made a post here about it but mine was marked as spam so I hope yours gets through okay?

CDNCOINSHOP
Excursionist
13 1 10

We're over here (on page 3 of replies already).

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Design/Image-size-exceeds-20pixels/td-p/321708/highlight/fal...

Looks like it's a known issue and someone said "they're working on it"

Karlie
Shopify Staff
669 54 133

Hello all!

Karlie here from the Shopify Guru Team! My apologies for the inconvenience that this issue may have caused. Our technical team have since shipped out a fix and the issue should now be resolved. If you are still experiencing the same problem, then be sure to double check the Shopify image guide, here, to make sure that your images are following Shopify's requirements. 

However, if you have followed Shopify's image requirements and you still see the same error message - be sure to let me know. I will be happy to help!

Karlie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

TTEcommerce
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi! I'm still getting the error on my store and I know my images are not exceeding the limit. Is this bug back? 

BigBoxArt
4 0 0

Hi Karlie,

I have been trying to upload a set of test products on our new store. However I keep getting the same error:

Validation failed: The pixel limit is 20 megapixels. Resize your image and upload it again.

All images are 2000 x 2000 px @ 72dpi and stored on our Azure server.
I have tried logging out and back in again as suggested in other posts.
I have tried a different browser.

Nothing is working, any suggestions?

Karlie
Shopify Staff
669 54 133

Hello, @BigBoxArt!

Karlie here! Can you tell me what the file size is for each of those images that you're trying to upload? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you! 

hjeensa
Visitor
1 0 0

This media couldn’t be added:

•  exceeds 20 megapixels
The problem with images All images I have are in high quality

I don’t know why my images are not accepted
BeastC
Visitor
1 0 1

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem. 

When i try to change the banner it says : "The pixel limit is 20 megapixels. Resize your image and upload it again." The file is 863K in size. 

Any help ?

Thank you

Tristan10
Tourist
4 0 0

Some of my images are much smaller (3.7MB) and I still get this error. Is the bug fixed? It see it's been around since January.

Karlie
Shopify Staff
669 54 133

Hey, @hjeensa , @BeastC and @Tristan10!

Karlie here! I'd love to take a look at one of your files for you to see if I can find the issue. Could one of you upload your file to an external hosting site like Google Drive and link the file in this thread. Then I can take a look at the file for you so we can try to find what the issue is. 

Looking forward to hearing back! 

Tristan10
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi Karlie, I solved this issue by batch-processing the photos in photoshop at much smaller scale. Thanks for following up though.

Karlie
Shopify Staff
669 54 133

Hello, @sbiar!

Karlie here! The dropbox file you linked links me to a CSV file - are you having issues with your CSV uploading? If so, you're going to want to reach out to our support team for assistance so they can look into the file for you to see if we can spot the issue. You can reach out to our support team by following the prompts in our Help Center, here. We also have an in-depth guide regarding how to upload a CSV. You can check out that guide here - I would recommend going through that guide and making sure that your formatting matches the sample. I'm going to delete your reply in this thread due to the sensitive nature of the CSV file. 

If you're having difficulty uploading images to your Shopify Admin, then you can include a link to the image file via Dropbox so I can look into dimensions and resolution for you. 

oaden
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello all,

I'm experiencing the same issue uploading photos to my products with the below error. All files are between 400-550KB in size.

"This media couldn’t be added: "IMG_1999.JPG" exceeds 20 megapixels"

Can someone provide guidance?

EddyChung
Shopify Partner
65 1 28

The easiest way to fix this is to use Shopify's online image resizer here.

You can also try these out:

If you want a desktop app I recommend some here

CBY
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello,

Is this issue still going on? I am trying to upload images from my photographer into my site, but I keep getting the error message that the image exceeds 20 megapixels. Help!

David_ShopAlly
Visitor
3 0 0

Hello, 

try with https://www.easyimageresize.com/, you can select the output size  so you can select a size less than 20 megapixels and it shuold go good.

southernhopes
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi, its still not resolved as i can't upload my photos now

DesignerRick
Visitor
1 0 0

I had a coworker who was having this issue and I was able to find a fix pretty quickly.

It appears that the error happens when uploading an image that exceeds dimensions of 4098 pixels on either side. Find out how big the image dimensions are, then resize so that both sides do not exceed 4098 pixels.

For the best upload results, I would resize and crop the image into square dimensions (both sides are the same # of pixels). I would recommend either 2048 x 2048 pixels or 4096 x 4096 pixels.

Using the Shopify image auto resize generator should fix the issue, but if you want more control over how your image is resized and/or cropped you can also crop and resize your image using Microsoft Photos (PC), Paint3D (PC), Images (Mac), etc. If you have Photoshop then you can crop and resize with that too.

Resizing and cropping in Paint3D worked for us, so hopefully it will work for everyone else who is experiencing this issue.

saultrejo33
Excursionist
14 0 2

This solution worked for me.

"It appears that the error happens when uploading an image that exceeds dimensions of 4098 pixels on either side. Find out how big the image dimensions are, then resize so that both sides do not exceed 4098 pixels."

Thanks DesignerRick.

katie_leeman
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Karlie,

I am having this issue, my files are less than 10mb but I keep getting  the file exceeds error.  Can you help?

tanmaykejriwal
Shopify Partner
59 1 5

Hey Use this App its free and you can upload images of any size and it will compress automatically https://apps.shopify.com/compress-files. Let me know if it helped

TK

V1nnyF1
Visitor
1 0 1
TGfowler23
Excursionist
25 2 12

Out of all the comments in this thread this was the most straight-forward and easy tip that resolved the issue immediately! Thanks for that 🙂 

Founder of Eagle is a Birdie | Passionate about UX & FE Design (am a beginner though)
visit my page eagleisabirdie.com (DM to get pw)