Importing 140 million products/SKUs

sadiqueakhter
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi,

We are a startup in the content selling business and the real challenge we are facing is to execute our business idea i.e. "Which platform would support such a huge list of products" and "how long would it take to import all the products". We need to import 140 million products or SKUs to our store.

Details about our products: There would be a 400 words description for each product and there will be a single/common product image (thumbnail size) that would be used across all the products. All contents are sold online. No physical shipment or content downloads are applicable.

Can anyone please let me know if executing the above requirements is possible with Shopify? As per Shopify customer care, there is a limitation of 50,000 products at a time. After which, I can import 1000 product per day at max.

0 Likes
yori
Excursionist
19 1 2

Quora:

Shopify can basically handle over 100,000 products. For 99.99% of Shopify stores, it’s plenty.

I’ve worked with several brands who have more than 100,000 and it seems to run fine providing the traffic is stable.

Most brands I know eventually switch from Shopify to Magento later on. Once you start doing about 4–5million in sales per month, Shopify doesn’t offer too much for massive brands that big. Magento is more customization. And if you are doing 4–5mil per month in sales, you can afford a $200,000 Magento website to sustain your brand.

For 99.99 of brands doing under 4–5mil in sales per month, then Shopify is the perfect platform and can handle well over 100,000 items.

The largest store I’ve worked with on Shopify has 2.4 mil products. But they only do about 160,000 in sales per month. So they’re not anywhere close to the limits Shopify’s platform has.

I’ve worked with business owners who’s stores have a million products but they made 0 in sales because they didn’t understand marketing at first.

I’ve worked with business owners who’s stores has 1–5 products and they made $1000 a day in sales.

More products doesn’t mean better site. It all comes down to the brand, and marketing.

0 Likes
sadiqueakhter
Tourist
4 0 1

Here is Shopify support team response to large volume product import:

"Hi there Sadique Akhter,

Trey here from Shopify, following up on behalf of Jasmin, the Shopify Support Advisor you chatted yesterday.

We understand that the type of products you'd like to add are digitally delivered products, and that it would be for 124 million products. No images, just company name and the financial details that can be bought online.

As you can see below, for basic plan Shopify offers unlimited products.

However, if you reached a limit when uploading products, you can always contact us so we could manually make adjustments for your account."

Question: Does this mean I can import those million products even in my basic Shopify plan?

yori
Excursionist
19 1 2

Sure, you can even upload all the products before your plan is active with partners.shopify.com

0 Likes
sadiqueakhter
Tourist
4 0 1

Sounds good, Yori. Few more questions:

1. How much time does it take on an average to upload 1,000 products?

2. Is there any way to speed up the product upload process?

3. Apart from CSV product import, is there any other way to upload the products in bulk and quick?

0 Likes
yori
Excursionist
19 1 2

Other than CSV you can use the Shopify API.

You can do 2 API calls per second with the basic plan. 
And 10 API calls per second with the plus plan.

124 mil products will have to be split in smaller segments to avoid gateway errors.

0 Likes
sadiqueakhter
Tourist
4 0 1

Thank you, Yori. Can you assist in importing the products?

0 Likes