Importing and bulk updating products - best practice

LostPer
Excursionist
28 1 3

If I need to update 2 values for my products (replace descriptions with html descriptions) how should I structure the csv?
Do I need to include ALL the info again with the new description or just the fields with new values?
My worry is that I click "overwrite existing" only add handle (its the key right?) and description and end up with 14000 blank products. I don't want to risk duplicates either as I then have to empty entire DB and start over as it's to many products to screen manually. 

Also, any way to get a count in Shopify. If I import 3400 products from a single brand, I want to know when I search in Shopify that I find 3400 products. Can't find a count anywhere. 

Hope my question makes sense and sorry if it's basic. 

Max
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
575 18 80

Hi, @LostPer 

This is Max from the Shopify Team.

It sounds like what you're looking for is a way to gain some confidence in uploading new details to your shop, and using CSVs. In that case, I'd suggest looking over a few resources on CSVs (I'll link them below) and I'd also recommend working with some smaller sample sizes than 3400 products. Edit a section of your CSV to contain only a manageable amount of products that you can upload and review directly. That way you can troubleshoot and finesse things before uploading larger files!

To edit two values, it might be easiest to export a current CSV file and then tweak the relevant columns before choosing to "overwrite" the upload. A CSV with blanks would not be read by our system (so, ALL the info would be needed).

An alternate way to make changes to your inventory would be to use the bulk editing feature. This allows you to tweak sections within the admin, rather than editing a CSV externally. Depending on the values you're looking to change, this might be a good option!

Lastly, counting products depends on how you have these items organized. Are there any keywords in product titles, tags, or vendors you could search for? I'd suggest looking at the search and filter options on your Products page to see how you can look up products easily. I'd also advise reviewing the Products CSV file format.

That's a lot of information to review and take in, so, please let us know if you need some more help or clarification on anything in particular!

Cheers,
Max

Max | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

miss_necessity
Excursionist
31 0 12

Manually importing products takes time and not to mention save space. I am using Importify app to import unlimited products to my store, and it gives me the option to get products from 40+ supplier stores other than AliExpress. I get products from Etsy and Wonify and find US suppliers for faster shipping. And when I started making a sales, I used Importify to easily fulfill orders on selected sites.  

0 Likes
Jay_
Shopify Partner
85 4 17
Hi There,

I can vouch that updating products has been a sore topic in Shopify unless you use an app like excelify etc.

I just worked with someone and built a database with over 20,000 variants. We were able (after about 33 hours of work. Seriously.) to upload all the products and make changes as well to the images or descriptions by utilizing the Shopify api. It was an amazing experience learning all of that.

So to answer, there are scripts that can be run from a csv sheet with just the product ID and the html format of description and it will update just that instead of rewriting the whole product possibly losing all the data you have.

Feel free to reach out if there’s anything I can help with. Good luck.
Jay Friedmann | Developer @ Swiss Media
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Derek_Morin
Shopify Expert
148 0 26

I can vouch that updating products has been a sore topic in Shopify unless you use an app like excelify etc.

[...]

We were able (after about 33 hours of work. Seriously.) to upload all the products and make changes as well to the images or descriptions by utilizing the Shopify api. 

That's right. There are a few great apps to achieve that, and without apps, it will cost you a few thousand dollars. We've launched a new solution to achieve importing and updating inventory from different suppliers. Many merchants working with a PIM system and using custom CSV files and custom data formats use Moose Sync.

0 Likes
danielpretorius
Shopify Partner
97 0 8

Bulk updates done wrong can wreak havoc on your store. When our clients integrate their Shopify data with Airtable they are usually trying to solve this exact problem, as Airtable's spreadsheet/database design automatically prevents your from messing up your data. And no more wrestling with CSVs that lack formatting and safeguards. Take a look at our guide on how to bulk update your Shopify data .

eCommerceNext
1 0 0

Ideally you would require a PIM to handle all your product data and integrate with Shopify.  PIM would also allow you to work with other solutions like CRM and ERP.  This will eventually allow you to ensure that all the systems are having a similar product data source.  See more information on "What is PIM" to know more about PIM and how it integrates with your systems.

Regards

Sonali Minocha

www.ecommercenext.org 

0 Likes
LostPer
Excursionist
28 1 3

I know what a PIM is :D but overkill without adding multiple languages and markets and also a cost that isn't relevant at this point. 

0 Likes