Importing products using CSV - number of product dont match

jacob55
Tourist
6 0 0

Hello everyone,

I already have my CSV with all my products to be imported on Shopify, it's in the right format, and products are correctly imported.

However I am trying to check if all the products were imported, and I came to a few conclusions.

First thing, when I try to import the CSV I get this message: 

You will be importing approximately 490 products with a total of 490 SKUs and 2,479 images. Importing will not overwrite any existing products that have the same product handle.

Then after the import was completed, I check my amount of products using this:

myshopifystore.com/admin/products/count.json

And I only get the following:

{"count":125}

So what is wrong here? I counted my total number of products in my CSV including the variations of those products and they are in total 503, so they are not 490.

What is wrong here? Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Is it because I am still in trial and can't have more than 125 products in my shop? According to my math I should have in total 268 products with different barcode (the variations have the same barcode of the main product)

Replies 4 (4)

pvoulg
Shopify Partner
178 26 59

Hi @jacob55,

The count.json refers to total products, not including variants. Depending on how your products/variants are structured, it is possible that there are indeed 125 products imported (with an average of about 4 variants each—so a total of around 500 SKUs). Keep in mind that you will also receive an email notification once your CSV is uploaded and processed, which will let you know if there were any issues with your import and how many products have been successfully added to your store, so you can always double check that as well.

Panos Voulgaris
Creative director / Partner @ MALVI
Founder @ function( )
jacob55
Tourist
6 0 0

Hi @pvoulg thanks for your insight! I didn't know about the email import report, I notice now the issue, there are some products where it was not possible to download the image.

Let me ask you another thing, for the upload of images.

I just went into Admin > Files and selected all my images and uploaded, its seems like some of them were not uploaded why?

I didn't receive any message notification while uploading those images.

Does the system have a limit while uploading image? I read somewhere I can only import 500 at a time? 

When I did the upload of images I selected them all (which was 2313 images), maybe some of them were not uploaded?

Any clues?!

Thanks

pvoulg
Shopify Partner
178 26 59

Whenever you upload a large number of files, it is much better to do it in batches, to ensure that any service interruption will not affect all of your uploads. 

Apart from that, if you're uploading the images to use in the products, then there's no need to upload them to Settings > Files first. You can do that in each product directly. Batch uploading them here wouldn't make it easier in your situation, since you would then need to find each URL and assign it to a product in your CSV, one by one. What you can do instead (if your images aren't already hosted somewhere, such as a previous store, or a Dropbox folder), is upload your CSV without images, and then go to each uploaded product and drag-n'-drop the images you want for that particular product in the media section.

There's no advantage in having the images both in each product and the store's files. 

Panos Voulgaris
Creative director / Partner @ MALVI
Founder @ function( )
jacob55
Tourist
6 0 0

Hi @pvoulg thanks for your reply, but that doesn't really help much when I have dozens of products, inserting the images manually one by one on the product page, that's a big no.

I guess I will upload them in batches, and hope that everything goes smoothly next time.

Thanks for your help!