Incorrect chargeback

Highlighted
3 0 0

A customer ordered and received her order, however around the same time shortly after the card was cancelled due to a fraudulent charge. The bank went and reversed all charges around that date and ours was one of them, applying to shopify for a chargeback. The customer email and notified the bank that her purchase from us was legitimate but they have still confirmed the chargeback regardless.

Is there anything that we can do?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
135 5 20

Hi @GFOatsAustralia 

I'm kind of confused with your description around the chargeback.

If I'm understanding you correctly. A chargeback was filled shortly after the customer received their item by the bank (without the customer intervening). You have personally notified the customer which then notified their bank to confirm that they did make the purchase.

Do you have a written statemen of this? If so, you can contact your payment gateway and offer proof that the chargeback was filled by mistake.

Decrease fraudulent orders, stop chargebacks and expand globally with Beacon. https://apps.shopify.com/beacon
0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi Jason, we did that with a written notice from the customer - Customer has confirmed that she placed this order, and has received her goods. She placed order on her boyfriends card. Boyfriend has since lost card, and called bank to cancel the card. Customer was apologetic on phone, and has verbally confirmed this is not fraud, and has also emailed the following. "Just following our phone conversation earlier. I did purchase gluten free oats last week however was purchased on my partners card. At the time my partner had lost his card and he started to realize people were purchasing items on his card. He called commonwealth bank and they cancelled his card immediately. Sorry for the confusion, Thanks Danielle"

A notice came today saying that the "The customer’s bank reviewed the chargeback response and has sided with them." 

Which was opposite to what the customer said to them 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
135 5 20

So the customers did intervene and possibly mistakenly reported the purchase from your store as a fraudulent purchase. Other than disputing it with the bank and/or appealing the case, there is not much you can do in this instance. If it's not a huge amount of loss, you can either eat the loss (hoping they will become good customers) or contact the customer directly saying the money was returned to their account, but their account will be disabled until their due payment is paid off. The chances of them following this will be slim to none unless they really love your brand/service.

Decrease fraudulent orders, stop chargebacks and expand globally with Beacon. https://apps.shopify.com/beacon
0 Likes