Individual Products ALSO as product variants

Solved
alfredtan
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi, I run a small physical retail chain store and am looking to start an online store with Shopify. 

My main issue which I can't seem to find the solution to online is: 

Each variant in our catalogue (ran by both softwares unleashed connected to vend)  is already encoded as an individual product (with its own SKU) and we operate this way. 

The way it's already run on our inventory software (unleashed, connected to vend): They are listed as individual products

Ring A- Size 5 -RAs5

Ring A- Size 6 - RAs6

Ring A- Size 7 -RAs7

My goal is to do some sort of variant mapping (like Oberlo, but internally with our preset SKUs) with these individual products as variants. where product is shown only as Ring A.

clicking Ring A then on our Shopify site would show variants (size 5, size 6, size 7) with their own corresponding SKUs and THEN have it sync to the software neatly. updating the relevant inventory count.

currently it doesn't seem to do so

could someone pls. help me out? 

**The main catch here is it should sync well with either software (am open to integrating either one) 

0 Likes
jeriwambeek
Tourist
5 1 0

Hi alfredtan, 

I hope you are well and staying safe during these crazy times. 

I am co-founder of WhichAddon.com and an inventory management systems expert in all the systems you have mentioned - Unleashed, Vend, Shopify, Xero and more.

In Unleashed, you can't have variants, so you have set your products up as a best as you can in there. It doesn't have the product families/variants functionality at this time. 

As long as the SKU is the same across both Shopify and Unleashed (and Vend) then you will be able to push stock levels from Unleashed to Shopify - then from Unleashed to Vend. Am I correct that you want to push stock levels from Unleashed to Shopify? This is the usual process so you can capture new POs receipted in, new assemblies etc. 

Let me know if you have any issues, you can reach me on the chat or book a call with me on WhichAddOn.com. 

Have a lovely night!

Cheers, 
Jeri 

0 Likes
alfredtan
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi Jeri,

Thank you for your reply. The stock level bit I've tried and tested (using Vend) has been working well. Issue is that each variant of a product we've listed them as an individual product itself like my example above i.e. Ring A with 3 sizes is set up as Ring A Size 5[RAs5], Ring A Size 6[RAs6], Ring A Size 7[RAs7]. 

My goal now is to merge these products to appear as one in Shopify (say Ring A) . and when customer opens the Ring A product page they can select which size they'd buy (i.e. size 5) and Shopify will auto sync this with the 3rd party software. Right now I can't seem to do so. It's like Variant Mapping. 

We are silver jewellery retailer that works with Swarovski Crystals therefore the colour and size options are multiple, ranging to past total 2000 SKUs. I wish there were some way I can conveniently merge the variants of a design whilst they are listed as individual products on the 3rd party software.  

only work around I could think of is create a generic product on Shopify only  (say Ring A) and link the size variants to its corresponding individual product listing/sku (i.e. RAs5) when purchased. That entails tons of manual input though so am looking to solve the problem more efficiently.

jeriwambeek
Tourist
5 1 0

Hi Alfred, 

Happy to help. Can I ask the logic behind merging the stock levels to show the total for Ring A?

I have seen clients use Collections like this where they can see the total of all stock for a Collection (e.g. Ring A) but that's just for internal use not for client visibility. 

I imagine you, of course, want to know the stock levels of the individual items by variant. Regarding the work around you mentioned, the SKU must be the same across all products for an integration to work. 

I think the only way to achieve the merged stock level is through custom coding if you want to show it to the customer, however, I am guessing they also need to know the individual stock levels of the variants to ensure you don't sell something you don't have. 

I hope that helps. 

0 Likes
alfredtan
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi Jeri,

Perhaps there were some miscommunication, I am aiming for a merged product listing on the website. 

my main goal is to merge the product for customer UX when Browsing on the site.

Say if customer was browsing our online store, there is no sense for her to see on the product collection page (Rings), Ring A sz 5, Ring A, sz 6, Ring A sz 7.

With over hundred of designs and hundred corresponding variants total. This would most def. put her off.   If you went to Swarovski.com I'm sure one would want to see Ring A, Ring B, Ring C listed as opposed to what I mentioned above. 

When customer does select something though, say Ring A sz 5. The purchase would correspondingly update the 3rd party software smoothly. 

Right now, as they are listed individually on my 3rd party softwares (Unleashed - connected to Vend) and imported to Shopify, the variants of a product can't seem to be merged into one product listing. 

I understand that SKUs need to be identical across platforms, do I therefore proceed with creating a product on Shopify only [since it is not the master, it won't sync to 3rd party software] and list the variants with their individual SKUs to achieve this? 

Hope you can advise. 

0 Likes
jeriwambeek
Tourist
5 1 0

This is an accepted solution.

Hi Arthur

Ok - that makes complete sense now. Sorry for not getting that earlier.

You need to remove the products from Shopify and set them in Shopify as a
product with the sizes as variants. Eg. the product is Ring A and then the
variants are RingAs5 etc.

As long as the SKU on the variant is the same as Unleashed and Shopify, the
sales will sync from Shopify to Unleashed/Vend and the stock levels will be
able to sync from Unleashed to Shopify.
0 Likes
alfredtan
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi Jeri,

Noted. That is what I thought as well. Nonetheless, Thanks for taking the time to help, I appreciate it a lot. I know how to move forward now. 

0 Likes
jeriwambeek
Tourist
5 1 0
You are so welcome Alfred. Stay safe.
0 Likes
alfredtan
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi Jeri,

Hopefully I could bother you again.  I did what we both agreed on as a solution as I am readying my site. My Shopify now is successfully linked to My Unleashed.

Situation: As agreed, I created a general product listing (Shopify only, won't link to unleashed [as it is Master]). Under this, I listed all the variants and its stock counts manually with their corresponding SKUs aligned and same in unleashed. 

Question: Since the input is manual, would a purchase lead to successfully updating stock count in unleashed?  

say if someone bought a SKU 'ABCDE' ... would it automatically update the SOH in unleashed for sku 'ABCDE'? [with unleashed as Master]

I ask again because these were inputted manually rather than imported from unleashed.

Hope you can give some notes.

0 Likes
ITFresh
1 0 0

Hi, 

I have the exact issue you were facing last year. I too use Vend for POS and am looking at Unleashed (or Dear) to run my inventory. Did this solution work for your variants? I would appreciate any further insight and will really value any hints you may have. 

Thanks!

0 Likes