Information Commissioner's Office - UK

ABR18
1 0 0

Hi,

I set up a limited company and shopify shop recently, and received a letter from ICO (Information Commissioner's Office) in UK. It states that I every company that holds customers information on a computer must pay an annual fee for Data Protection purposes. My shop has yet to start functioning, does anyone else from UK are aware of this? are we liable to pay this fee if using shopify?

Thank You

0 Likes
Lorcanmcp
Tourist
8 0 0

Let me know if you get a response on this.

I have received the same letter..

0 Likes
hellodigital
Shopify Expert
5 0 0

Whether you need to pay a fee will be based on whether or not you handle certain pieces of data about customers. The ICO has a self-assessment quiz to check if you are exempt: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/data-protection-fee/self-assessment/

For what it is worth, after I went through the quiz myself for a Shopify business, I was classed as exempt and there is no fee to pay. You may well be the same, but it is best to check given your own circumstances. It is a good idea to get ahead of all these requirements too (i.e. make sure you have a privacy policy, a cookie banner, and observe security best practices).

Hello Digital / Shopify and Vend Expert partner in New Zealand and Scotland
★ Creators of Migrating from Vend Ecommerce to Shopify / The world's first Shopify course designed specifically for Vend retailers
0 Likes
Lorcanmcp
Tourist
8 0 0

Perfect.

thank you very much! Seems as my business is exempt too! We have a privacy policy but will look into the other points you had mentioned!

Appreciate the help

stay safe

0 Likes