Instant Payment Notification Warning from PayPal related to Shopify ???

Lior_Elbaz
Visitor
3 0 1

Hello,

I keep receiving this warning message from PayPay regarding "Instant Payment Notification"

It's is clear it related to Shopify, Maybe one of the apps trying to access my PayPal account,
The link is leading me nowhere.
Please assist ASAP, as PayPal might disable my account

Thank you!
Lior 

"Hello, Lior Elbaz

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

myshopify.us15.list-manage.com/subscribe/paypal-ipn?u=c8ec6bcbe0dd3c1578775a787&id=8d219bf7fa

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue."

Replies 13 (13)

April_Feola
Excursionist
15 0 7

Did anyone ever respond to you because I am getting the same emails from paypal

musicwharf123
Tourist
4 0 4

I'm getting a pre-emptive version of the email.

'Reminder: Important information about Instant Payments Notification (IPN)Reminder: Important information about Instant Payments Notification (IPN)'

PayPal is expanding the Instant Payments Notification (IPN) infrastructure used to notify merchants about events related to the status of PayPal transactions. This change has added new IP addresses from which IPNs are being sent since 18 January 2021. 

Call to Action

If you are implementing any Access Control List (ACL) or filters on IP addresses for the IPNs received from PayPal, we request that you add all the aforementioned IP addresses before 3 May 2021

Doing so will help avoid missing IPNs from PayPal.

What are the actions required by merchants?

Please forward these changes to your network team/system admin or, if you are using a third-party hosting service provider, forward these details to their technical support team. If you require further support, please contact Merchant Technical Support.

Merchants implementing any Access Control List (ACL) or filters on IP addresses for the IPNs received from PayPal need to add all the aforementioned IP addresses before 3 May 2021. Doing so will help avoid missing IPNs from PayPal.

As far as I was aware Shopify didn't support paypal IPNs and it wasn't an issue/wouldn't affect the functionality between shopify/paypal? but has this changed? ....or is there anything we need to action.

Thanks

April_Feola
Excursionist
15 0 7
Thats what I thought too, figured I would mention it on here since I get
the IPN emails all the time lately.
Flaxa
Tourist
9 0 13

Got the same e-mail and was searching for some clarification.
I never heard of IPN nor did I implement anything where I had to type in some IP adresses, so I am a bit confused. Paypal sadly doesn't do a good job explaining what this is needed for.

Can somebody explain what this is and if we need to do something? And if so, what?

Thanks 🙂

Apothespa
Visitor
1 0 0

We are in the same situation, so need to know if we need to do anything or not

Lidika
Visitor
2 0 8

Hi,

I found this online in an old Shopify forum from 2014. I would think that since they state that IPN is old technology that Shopify does not support back then that the same would apply today. Of course this is just my opinion and I could not really find anything current (2021) regarding this subject. The statement reads as follows:

"IPNs are an old method still used by PayPal, but are not actually supported by Shopify. This isn't a problem. It just means that PayPal is trying to use something that doesn't really need to be used, and they're reporting that error. You can either remove the IPN from your PayPal account, or you can ignore the emails" (copied & pasted)

I Hope this helps,

I emailed Shopify Support If they say anything different I will update.

Cheers!

L. 

JKD19
Tourist
25 0 1

Had another email regarding this, look forward to your update from the support.

kpharvey
Visitor
2 0 4

Hi, we received both the pre-emptive email, and a few emails over the weekend with the warning.

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notifications (IPN). IPNs sent to the following URL(s) are failing:

(URL that goes nowhere)

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information. If this problem continues, IPNs may be disabled for your account.

Eager to hear if anyone has learned if there is something us Shopify merchants should be doing to straighten this out.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.

CoolJay
Shopify Partner
24 0 0

Hello!

Is there any update on this? will this affect my store?i've been getting this notifications alot

kpharvey
Visitor
2 0 4
Hi,

I spoke with Support yesterday, and they told me this doesn't have anything
to do with our Shopify store, as IPN's are an outdated technology that
Shopify hasn't supported for several years.

Here is what Graham from support told me:

"Ok so this a common enough issue. IPNs are an old standard used by PayPal
and are not supported by Shopify. If you receive a message saying IPNs are
failing you can ignore these messages or alternatively you can contact
PayPal support for further instruction on how to disable IPN. This change
will have no adverse effects on your Shopify store or notifications."

Hope this helps!
Flaxa
Tourist
9 0 13

Thanks so much for sharing!

Tamidee
Tourist
4 0 1

Can someone please assist me with getting the new ip Addresses for IPN updated for my shopify store .

Thanks 

sy2
Visitor
1 0 0

From what I read shopify users don't need to do anything to our stores for the IPN address.