Inventory Import via CSV File Does Not Update Quantities, No Errors

GV-Dallas
Visitor
2 0 2

So I am attempting to update my product inventory counts in bulk via CSV file exporting/importing. Everything is set for shopify to track inventory, so I exported a single product to CSV from the Shopify Inventory page, including all of it's variants. Manually edited the "Variant Inventory Qty" fields, saved the CSV, and then finally imported via the Inventory page on Shopify. A message pops up that says everything imported okay without any errors, and I also get an email saying basically the same, no errors. The only problem is that when I go back to the products page in the Shopify backend, none of the quantities are updated at all, and nothing has changed. What exactly  am I doing wrong here? FYI, I only have 1 location in Shopify.

Replies 18 (18)

rebrand
Shopify Partner
5 1 1

same issue. please let me know if you resolved it.

Faheem_Iqbal
Excursionist
11 1 4

Hi Dallas,

Make sure to add Variant Inventory Tracker as Shopify for each SKU line. Let me know if that works. 

Regards,

Faheem

T-Collins
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

I realize this is an old thread but is the CSV case sensitive?

Jverive
Visitor
1 0 0

Yes, the Headers are case-sensitive. Drives me nuts, but it is what it is!

Craig40
Visitor
1 0 0

Like most things in Shopify, you have to use an app. Apparently, there was a change made in October of 2020 that removed the ability to update inventory using the CSV inventory file format. I was online with chat support and they confirmed.

Faheem_Iqbal
Excursionist
11 1 4

Hello @Craig40 , Perhaps, CSV is still working. You just need to fill 'Inventory Tracker' column with 'Shopify' for each Variants and simply import it. You can test it for 1 style with multiple variants. 

Regards,

Faheem

productsync
Shopify Partner
740 38 159

Hi

Inventory was separated from products a couple of years ago and it was completely deprecated in October. You can still update inventory using csv files but they are separate from product csv files: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/inventory/inventory-csv

The reason that you need to run 2 separate csv files is that the data is stored in separate tables so you cannot updates inventory values at same time as your product csv import.

Regards

Tom

Ivo37
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Tom and others,

this thread is a few months old, but I just stumbled across it while trying to find out why the shopify help says product csv should not be used to update inventory quantities. You say the same; may I ask for more information about it? As far as I see it, I can upload product csv files including "Variant Inventory Qty" amounts and it processes fine. Am I missing something? Or are you and the shopify help just refering to situations with more than one location, in which case it must be the inventory csv for updates?

Thank you for clarification!

Cheers,

Ivo

productsync
Shopify Partner
740 38 159

Hi

This option still remains:

Variant Inventory Qty

The number of items you have in stock of this product or variant. This column is used only for Shopify stores that have a single location.

If your store manages inventory at multiple locations, then this column isn't included. If you want to import or export inventory quantities, then use the inventory CSV file.

Required, but can be blank.

Learn more about how overwriting existing products affects the data in this column.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/import-export/using-csv

Regards

Tom

Digeo
6 0 0

Surprise, filling 'Inventory Tracker' column with 'Shopify' still seems to work when column is placed in product-import.csv

Setting 'Variant Inventory Qty' to a different value then present in the database, does not seem to have an effect.

PS. Our shop is set to standard "no tracking", because fulfilment is delegated to webhooked Odoo backend
Exceptionally products need to be set SOLD OUT because backorder time exceed 60 days delivery from the factory.
Setting the Tracker temporarily on, with zero stock, would allow us to prevent add to carts for these products.
Any suggestion to solve this differently is welcome.

Digeo
6 0 0

UPDATE: Removing the product first in Shopify admin, and re-uploading the product-import.csv did set the stock of respective variants to ZERO and putted the product display in SOLDOUT state.
Attached the csv in question.

carmenhunt
Tourist
3 0 1

I am so frustrated I could throw this computer. I find it very hard to  believe that this has to be such a long drawn out process.

I don't find this beginner friendly at all. & I have been all day long trying to make this easy, I just cant figure it out.

When I update one product at a time for quantities, Im fine. ONE PRODUCT NOW  JUST ONE!

When I try to do in bulk It wont take all the products or it takes some of them.

Yes Im using CSV files .

Hats off to your Spotify pros cuz this is kickin my butt. I have venders now and I dont know what Im going to do.

How in the HELL am I going to load 3000 products. It'll take me a until the end of summer.

Thanks again for being beginner friendly

productsync
Shopify Partner
740 38 159

Hi

A lot of the time the issue comes down to the file or an error in a row. It is frustrating as sometimes you have to go back and do small amounts to figure out why a particular row is stopping the import. Try uploading the data for a couple of products that do work into one file and confirm that works. After that you can also upload to Google Sheets and export from their to overcome any file issues.

carmenhunt
Tourist
3 0 1
Yeah I was frustrated for sure.

But for some reason, the products ended up working somehow.🤞

All but like three products didn't go thru out of 100 or so.
I'LL TAKE IT !

But is there a delay of some sort in the process?

Thanks again,
Carmen

productsync
Shopify Partner
740 38 159

Hey Carmen

Yeah the process can take a while. Usually you would get an email once completed but if you are doing a large batch they won't show up instantly.

Regards

Tom

stateandfirst
Visitor
1 0 0

same issue with me. I also have one  location in Shopify.  I do have "inventory tracker" added

HRGalaxy
Tourist
4 0 9

I am having the same issue, I cannot work out what is wrong but the quantities are not updating and no errors are coming back. I have about 400 products and  Variant inventory tracker is set to "shopify", and store location is "Shopify". Can anyone help? Thanks

thejokingdev
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

If you exported your products using all quantities, you should be able to see five different columns: Incoming, Unavailable, Commited, Available, and On hand. When you upload the products, you need to fill the On hand column. That column will also populate the Available column. If you don't have those columns, just add them at the end and fill what you need. After that, the import should work just fine.

Need some help with your store? Email me at contact@thejokingdev.com