Inventory Import via CSV File Does Not Update Quantities, No Errors

GV-Dallas
2 0 2

So I am attempting to update my product inventory counts in bulk via CSV file exporting/importing. Everything is set for shopify to track inventory, so I exported a single product to CSV from the Shopify Inventory page, including all of it's variants. Manually edited the "Variant Inventory Qty" fields, saved the CSV, and then finally imported via the Inventory page on Shopify. A message pops up that says everything imported okay without any errors, and I also get an email saying basically the same, no errors. The only problem is that when I go back to the products page in the Shopify backend, none of the quantities are updated at all, and nothing has changed. What exactly  am I doing wrong here? FYI, I only have 1 location in Shopify.

rebrand
Shopify Partner
5 1 1

same issue. please let me know if you resolved it.

Faheem_Iqbal
Excursionist
11 1 1

Hi Dallas,

Make sure to add Variant Inventory Tracker as Shopify for each SKU line. Let me know if that works. 

Regards,

Faheem

Craig40
1 0 0

Like most things in Shopify, you have to use an app. Apparently, there was a change made in October of 2020 that removed the ability to update inventory using the CSV inventory file format. I was online with chat support and they confirmed.

0 Likes
Faheem_Iqbal
Excursionist
11 1 1

Hello @Craig40 , Perhaps, CSV is still working. You just need to fill 'Inventory Tracker' column with 'Shopify' for each Variants and simply import it. You can test it for 1 style with multiple variants. 

Regards,

Faheem

0 Likes
channelup
Shopify Partner
368 15 51

Hi

Inventory was separated from products a couple of years ago and it was completely deprecated in October. You can still update inventory using csv files but they are separate from product csv files: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/inventory/inventory-csv

The reason that you need to run 2 separate csv files is that the data is stored in separate tables so you cannot updates inventory values at same time as your product csv import.

Regards

Tom

Bundleup - bundle your products and unbundle your orders.
Channelup is a product data management solution helping Shopify stores automate their processes.
If you require custom development or would like to test out our features contact me at tom@channelup.io
0 Likes
Ivo37
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Tom and others,

this thread is a few months old, but I just stumbled across it while trying to find out why the shopify help says product csv should not be used to update inventory quantities. You say the same; may I ask for more information about it? As far as I see it, I can upload product csv files including "Variant Inventory Qty" amounts and it processes fine. Am I missing something? Or are you and the shopify help just refering to situations with more than one location, in which case it must be the inventory csv for updates?

Thank you for clarification!

Cheers,

Ivo

0 Likes
channelup
Shopify Partner
368 15 51

Hi

This option still remains:

Variant Inventory Qty

The number of items you have in stock of this product or variant. This column is used only for Shopify stores that have a single location.

If your store manages inventory at multiple locations, then this column isn't included. If you want to import or export inventory quantities, then use the inventory CSV file.

Required, but can be blank.

Learn more about how overwriting existing products affects the data in this column.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/import-export/using-csv

Regards

Tom

Bundleup - bundle your products and unbundle your orders.
Channelup is a product data management solution helping Shopify stores automate their processes.
If you require custom development or would like to test out our features contact me at tom@channelup.io
0 Likes
natashadisante
Shopify Partner
64 0 3

Hi @GV-Dallas ,

Throwing our hat in here as well. You can use Mixtable's Excel-like spreadsheet interface to directly update your Shopify product inventory in bulk without having to export/import CSVs. Mixtable will also show you a message if the inventory update fails for some reason (e.g., you haven't set up Shopify to track inventory for a specific product).

0 Likes
carmenhunt
Tourist
3 0 1

I am so frustrated I could throw this computer. I find it very hard to  believe that this has to be such a long drawn out process.

I don't find this beginner friendly at all. & I have been all day long trying to make this easy, I just cant figure it out.

When I update one product at a time for quantities, Im fine. ONE PRODUCT NOW  JUST ONE!

When I try to do in bulk It wont take all the products or it takes some of them.

Yes Im using CSV files .

Hats off to your Spotify pros cuz this is kickin my butt. I have venders now and I dont know what Im going to do.

How in the HELL am I going to load 3000 products. It'll take me a until the end of summer.

Thanks again for being beginner friendly

0 Likes