Inventory Tracking When Selling by Weight

Highlighted
1 0 0

Has anyone figured out a way to automate inventory management when selling multiple variants (with tiered pricing) of the same product by weight?  I have researched this problem extensively and I've tried Quantity Breaks and Bundles to no avail.  For instance, imagine there are 3 variants of the same product with tiered pricing, as illustrated below:

Green Tea
4oz $10
8oz $15
16oz $25

If I only have 16oz left in stock and someone purchased the 16oz variant, the 4oz and 8oz variants could still be purchased while they're out of stock.  Likewise if someone ordered a 4oz variant someone could still purchase the 16oz even though there are only 12oz left.  I can't be the only one with this problem, and if it were possible to solve, you would think someone would have made an app for it already.  

Is there any way to work around this at all?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
150 0 14

Hi Alex, 

I’m Martha from the Shopify team. 

If I understand your example properly you have a product Green Tea available in 3 separate variant sizes 4oz $10, 8oz $15, and 16oz $25. You can track the inventory levels of each variant weight, if you wish. 

This can be done through the product page. Products > Products and edit variants.

Or Bulk editing the properties “Inventory tracking” to Shopify tracks this product's inventory and make sure the variants do NOT allow Overselling if you don’t want the 16 Oz version to be selected. 

If you are selling Green Tea only in 4 Oz intervals, and not distinct variants, this becomes a bit more complex and it depends a bit on your product and how your limits are created. If you are using an app that helps promote quantity breaks, you can use this in conjunction with the above restrictions. 

If you want to share some examples we can take a look directly. Feel free to email support@shopify.com!

Cheers, 
Martha

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

I don't think this solves his (and my) problem. I am having the exact same issue.

Of course we could track the inventory levels of each weight, but that doesn't solve the problem. Here is another example to better understand the problem:

Let's say I am selling cheese and I only have one product. So I have 1kg of this cheese in stock. On my website I am offering 3 variants: 100g, 200g, 500g. So if you buy 500g I go and cut off 500g of my 1kg cheese. So there are 500 remaining. The next customer now shouldn't be able to buy 1x 500g and 1x 200g piece, as there are only 500g remaining.

Hope you understand now. 

Actually this is a very frustrating problem as you'll only restock, when your product is out of stock and you'll also always have orders with quantities you don't have in stock anymore. Right now my cheese is in stock whether it is 200g or 5kg. And this is a big problem and a lot of work.

Best,

Mauro

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
10 0 0

Hey did anyone figure this out :/

im stuck at the exact same thing

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

anyone find an answer to this?