Inventory Tracking with a Made to Order Business

Claire_Aulsebro
1 0 0

This question has been asked previously, but I feel like there should be an easy option that's not get a third party app. 

Basically I need to set an overall amount for a products inventory and have variants that are fluid. Say I have enough fabric to make 6 dresses, I need to set the product inventory at 6 and then have no specific amounts for the variants (sizes) as I will make each dress in the required size as ordered. Is there anyway to track inventory for a product with variants without having to input variant inventory?  

Any help is much appreciated! 

0 Likes
Dave_E
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
114 0 18

Hey Claire! 

Dave here from  the Guru Team :) 

So the general concept of Variants are they are viewed as different variations of the main product so you'd have the main product being a dress with the variants being the different sizes for example. This requires each product to have different inventory levels as they are essentially different products but under the same umbrella as the main product. 

To do what you would like would ned to actually take the angle of customisation or options with the main product rather than variants. To do this you can custom code in options for your customers to select on the product page. I'd still highly recommend using an app for ease of use with this, infinite options is free and allows you to quickly set up your products in this way, keeping your inventory associated with the main product and allowing your customers to select what ever size, colour etc. they choose! 

I hope this helps :) 

All the Best, 
Dave | Shopify

0 Likes
kylacote
1 0 0

I know this is a very old post, but were you able to solve this? I have a made to order swimwear business and am trying to figure out the same thing but haven't had any luck.

0 Likes
tarek-rahme
Excursionist
49 0 0

@kylacote @Claire_Aulsebro 

Hey,

Check this out, think you'll find it useful

https://apps.shopify.com/ready-pantry

0 Likes