Inventory management on manual orders

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 15

When I make a manual order, I want the inventory to be deducted before the order is paid. Is there any way to do that? I thought maybe it would get deducted if I marked it as pending, but mark as pending is not an option for me, for some reason. Any idea why?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
269 1 26

Hey, Janna!

Stephanie here from Shopify.

You can reserve the items before the order is paid. The option to reserve the items is within the draft order.

It looks like this:

As long as you reserve the items, the inventory will be held :)

Hope this helps! Here is our doc on draft orders for your reference: Click here.

If you have any other questions, just let me know! Our support is also available 24/7 :)

Cheers!

Stephanie | Shopify Support
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 15

I've tried that, but it doesn't change my inventory numbers. Shouldn't it?

Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 15

Okay, I see that in the "draft orders" documentation you sent it says that reserving items won't change your inventory numbers.

I did a test with a product whose inventory is being tracked by shopify. I have a total of 45 items. I made an order for 40 items. I set the order to "reserve" the items. Then I went back and made a second order, and reserved 30 more of the items.

So, if reserving items doesn't change my inventory numbers, and it doesn't prevent me from making orders for those items, and there are no notes on the inventory page telling me that some of these items are reserved, what good is reserving items??

Highlighted
1 0 5

Please Shopify..... I have the same issue! No point reserving an item if I can't see the change in my inventory. Help! Thanks

Highlighted
2 0 5

I'm having the same problem. First, I would think that a draft order would automatically reserve the items and change my inventory levels, but it does not. I have wholesale customers who place draft orders so I can manually calculate and add shipping before they make payment. If inventory is low, I don't want another customer to be able to order those same items that are no longer available even though payment has not been processed yet. Second, since draft orders don't automatically update my inventory, I have tried manually reserving them. But when I test it by reserving items in a draft order (for example 4 if there are only 4 left in inventory), and then try to place another draft order for those same items (the 4 that have been reserved), I am still able to submit that order. This is very confusing and frustrating! I'd prefer that draft orders automatically reserve items because I may not be able to manually do it immediately after a customer places an order. But if that is not possible, reserving the items should at least WORK! What is the point of reserving items if inventory doesn't change????

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
9 0 19

This comes down to a big flaw in Shopify's logic: Draft orders pay no attention to the 'Allow customers to purchase this product when it's out of stock' setting. Please shopify, allow us to choose whether draft orders follow storefront rules or not. A simple yes/no setting would work.

Highlighted
2 0 3

Adding fuel to this discussion: this doesn't change the inventory count so customers can still buy the items that are reserved. Could you please update us on when Shopify plans to fix this error? 

Highlighted
7 0 0

Has anyone come up with a solution to this for inventory management purposes?  This is definitely something that I need to find a work around on.  Any help would be great!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Yes! I am making draft orders for customer who will pay later. I'm reserving items for them. Some are the last of the stock. After saving draft, the reserve items are still in stock. How can I get it to pull these off the site? 

0 Likes