Inventory management problem (feature request?)

Solved
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi! 

I run a store selling clothing items. Each style may have many size/colour combinations and sometimes we are out of stock of certain colour for a long time. 

The problem I have is that to remove a colour option from the store to prevent over-cluttering the product page with "sold out" options the only thing I can do right now is to totally delete the colours in question. 

Wouldn't it be good to simply be able to "pause" or "disable" variants as well as whole styles? 

Example of how this could look to a store admin attached

Screenshot 2020-01-07 at 14.36.00.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
692 72 109

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @howies_ruben

I’m Helen from Shopify Support. 

Thank you for this awesome feedback! I can see the benefit of being able to “pause” or “disable” variants when they are out of stock, and so I have let our developers know that there has been a request for this feature.

In the meantime, there is a third party app in our App store that enables you to do this. It’s called AutoHide Soldout Products. As the name suggests, sold out products can be easily set up to automatically hide, and unhide according to their available inventory. However, unlike the other apps for hiding out of stock items, this one has the option to apply to specific variants, and not just the main product.

There is a 7-day free trial for this app, so feel free to install it on your store and use that time to test it out. If at any time you have specific questions about the setup, it’s features, or pricing, please contact the app developer directly.

All the best,

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

Highlighted
2 0 0

Thanks, @Helen, that's really useful! I think I will try that app. 

Thanks for passing the suggestion along to your developers as well. I think most Shopify customers would love this feature to come out of the box :)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
692 72 109

Absolutely, @howies_ruben ! Thanks again for bringing it to our attention.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
11 0 1

We'd also have high value in being able to temporarily hide or disable a variant rather than deleting it (and we'd not like to hide all out of stock, only ones that won't be making a comeback for a time).

By that same token, it would be good to be able to hide collections from navigation menu/ tree temporarily, without deleting them.

These were both options for us with BigCommerce since 2014, and I was surprised to have lost them in switching to Shopify.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
692 72 109

Hi, @LisaD. Thanks for providing your feedback about this too! I’ve submitted a feature request to our developers for being able to hide a variant, on your behalf. I’ve also let them know about your need for the ability to hide navigation menu items; I can see how this would be very beneficial!

We receive a lot of excellent feedback on a daily basis, therefore I encourage you to keep an eye on the Shopify Changelog. All recent updates to the platform are posted there, so it’s a great way to keep informed, and be looped in on all improvements occurring on the platform.

If there’s anything else I can help with, let me know.

0 Likes