Inventory quantity became negative

jackcylin
Shopify Partner
21 2 9

Hi, my merchant encountered inventory quantity became negative after a surge sale event. I have checked checkout process, customers should not be able to complete order when inventory is empty. Does anyone know how should I prevent this happening again?

Replies 7 (7)

satsinghrana
Shopify Partner
331 19 41

Hello,

Just turn on the stop sale out of stock product in the admin, it will prevent this. In Shopify admin there is an option to turn this on in the product page.

Thanks!

banned
jackcylin
Shopify Partner
21 2 9

Found the action hidden in Product -> Inventory -> More actions. Will give a try if it works. Thanks @satsinghrana 

satsinghrana
Shopify Partner
331 19 41

Perfect!

Good luck!

banned
jackcylin
Shopify Partner
21 2 9

@satsinghrana I have discuss with my merchant @IreneLee , she is pretty sure "stop sale out of stock product" was ticked before over sell happened. I also found a thread discuss how to prevent from oversell. It seems there's no guarantee solution so far. In their discussion, it was related to some payment gateways and 3rd party apps dealing with orders. Do you have any suggestions to mitigate this issue? Jack

satsinghrana
Shopify Partner
331 19 41

Hi @jackcylin then you need to get in touch with Shopify support, they can provide you a solution on this.

Thanks!

banned
IreneLee
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

If I turn on the stop sale out of stock product in the admin, it still occur the over selling in very short time (3-4 orders/min).

How can I prevent it next time?

MrDutch1
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi,

where is this setting you talk about? We have the same issue. I still think it’s a bug. I would really like to know where I can find this setting.