Inventory tracking questions

gillym82
4 0 0

When inventory tracking is turned on is it tracked by SKU or by name? If I have an item with different names, pictures etc but the same SKU will it create an error in my inventory tracking??? I sell for DS that reuses some SKUs and am nervous about this happening. Thank you

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1027 95 242

Hi, @gillym82!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

Each time you create a new product in Shopify, a unique product ID is associated with that particular product. When it comes to inventory tracking, inventory is tracked based on this product's unique ID, rather than the product's SKU or name. To see this yourself, simply head on over to any product in your Shopify Admin. Once there, take a look at your browser's URL bar. You should see a URL similar to this:  

http://my-shop-name.myshopify.com/admin/products/1234567

This is also goes for variants, as each one has a unique variant ID. Because each product and variant is entirely unique, Shopify tracks inventory based on the ID, rather than the SKU or name. SKUs are often used internally to track your inventory and report on your sales. For example, you can use the Sales by product variant SKU report to help analyze your sales. However, when it comes to Shopify tracking your inventory, this is something done automatically based on the product ID and there's no need to worry about duplicate product titles or SKUs affecting this. 

I hope this clears things up! Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

miranitags
1 0 0

I am trying to add inventory from CJDropshipping. My product adds successfully however, it says inventory not tracked. How do I track inventory for CJDropshipping and I can't edit the inventory?

0 Likes
TungDao
Shopify Partner
243 10 33

Hi @gillym82,

Like @Julie said, Shopify is really good with inventory tracking so you don't need to worry about that. 

Avada is an e-commerce solution provider based in the heart of Vietnam where the best developers unite. Founded in 2017 by Mageplaza, Avada is responsible to complete the mission to help 1 million online businesses grow revenues.
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1027 95 242

Hey, @miranitags.

Based on this CJDropshipping help doc, it looks like there's a setting within the app that will allow you to sync inventory levels with Shopify. Have you followed the steps outlined there?

For future reference, if you ever need any assistance with third-party apps, you can always reach out to the developers directly. It's also worth noting that most app developers also have FAQs and help documentation available for their users. You can typically access this information from the Support section in the app's about page in the Shopify App Store, or from within the app itself. 

I hope this helps clear things up!

0 Likes
TheHandyHome
2 0 0

Can you update the unique product ID for inventory tracking purposes? once I create a variant, the product inventory is only tracked and maintained to the original imported item. The  variant inventory is not updating because it now has a new product ID.  can these be re-linked and automated for shopify to maintain inventory level on both product ID?

For Example, If I have an item imported to shopify from my Inventory Source third party app. and it was assigned product ID 1234567

http://my-shop-name.myshopify.com/admin/products/1234567

I created a new product variant because this item is being combined with others.

When I create the variant the new unique  assigned product ID is 9054837

http://my-shop-name.myshopify.com/admin/products/9876543/variants/9054837

In this Example, The Inventory is still being tracked under the original product ID 1234567 (updates when Inventory Source updates)..... Is there a way to have the inventory synced to the newly created Variant ID 9054837?

If shopify is tracking stock of 1234567 (65 units) can the new Item ID also reflect the same Inventory 9054837 (65 units) and be updated automatically 

Than you,

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1027 95 242

Hey, @TheHandyHome!

Thanks for hopping into the conversation. Generally, product variants' inventory quantity value will still update, even when the individual variant is set to not track inventory. Moreover, it's not possible to update your unique product IDs. While this is expected behaviour, we have received some feedback from merchants around this and I'd be happy to share your feedback with our developers as well. 

In the meantime, it might be worth using an inventory management app like Connected Inventory to keep your inventory levels accurate. You could also use a low stock app to receive alerts when a variant is low on stock.

I hope this clears things up, but please let me know if I've misunderstood your question!

0 Likes