Inventory tracking questions

Highlighted
2 0 0

When inventory tracking is turned on is it tracked by SKU or by name? If I have an item with different names, pictures etc but the same SKU will it create an error in my inventory tracking??? I sell for DS that reuses some SKUs and am nervous about this happening. Thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
479 41 105

Hi, @gillym82!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

Each time you create a new product in Shopify, a unique product ID is associated with that particular product. When it comes to inventory tracking, inventory is tracked based on this product's unique ID, rather than the product's SKU or name. To see this yourself, simply head on over to any product in your Shopify Admin. Once there, take a look at your browser's URL bar. You should see a URL similar to this:  

http://my-shop-name.myshopify.com/admin/products/1234567

This is also goes for variants, as each one has a unique variant ID. Because each product and variant is entirely unique, Shopify tracks inventory based on the ID, rather than the SKU or name. SKUs are often used internally to track your inventory and report on your sales. For example, you can use the Sales by product variant SKU report to help analyze your sales. However, when it comes to Shopify tracking your inventory, this is something done automatically based on the product ID and there's no need to worry about duplicate product titles or SKUs affecting this. 

I hope this clears things up! Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

I am trying to add inventory from CJDropshipping. My product adds successfully however, it says inventory not tracked. How do I track inventory for CJDropshipping and I can't edit the inventory?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trailblazer
210 8 26

Hi @gillym82,

Like @Julie said, Shopify is really good with inventory tracking so you don't need to worry about that. 

Avada is an e-commerce solution provider based in the heart of Vietnam where the best developers unite. Founded in 2017 by Mageplaza, Avada is responsible to complete the mission to help 1 million online businesses grow revenues.
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
479 41 105

Hey, @miranitags.

Based on this CJDropshipping help doc, it looks like there's a setting within the app that will allow you to sync inventory levels with Shopify. Have you followed the steps outlined there?

For future reference, if you ever need any assistance with third-party apps, you can always reach out to the developers directly. It's also worth noting that most app developers also have FAQs and help documentation available for their users. You can typically access this information from the Support section in the app's about page in the Shopify App Store, or from within the app itself. 

I hope this helps clear things up!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes