Is It Worth The Risk

aslater
2 0 0

Hello All

I am thinking of starting a shop using the Shopify platform as currently after viewing all the others like Magento, Prestashop & Woocommerce Shopify seems the best but my worry is after reading all the horror stories in the forums of shops being closed for no reason, payouts on hold or even temporary closed as account being reviewed even though orders have been placed and not being able to fulfill.

So the problem for me not making the move is the risk worth it as it could potentially happen to me somewhere down the line and lose a lot of money on themes, apps, marketing etc.

Is this just a small percentage of accounts and has anyone successfully run their stores with minimal problems and think its worth it.

Many Thanks
Alan

0 Likes
JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
1240 111 309

While I agree it sucks that stores get shut down without a warning or clear reason, as I've seen in the forums, overall I think the risk is quite low. I've interacted with thousands of Shopify stores.

I think a good strategy, if you're worried about this is to contact Shopify first to make sure they're cool with your product(s), and tell them you're concerned about what you've heard on the shut downs, and how to prevent that. I think most of the stories I've read were from covid related products, Shopify took a strong political stance there, so people selling those products were at risk, but also I've worked with plenty of stores selling covid related products that were just fine.

When using any platform site for your business, it's a good idea to have a backup plan in your mind either way, whether it's Shopify or another platform where you don't own the technology 100%.

I've been working with Shopify for about 9 years and I think it's the best platform for ecommerce.

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization experts, theme customization, custom app development).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (first performance analysis tool for Shopify sites, free for the Shopify community).
Creator of Order Automator (auto tag orders and customers + auto fulfillment + more automations).
More apps: Theme Scientist (A/B testing), Tip Jar (add a tip button), File Optimizer (optimize CSS, JS, Liquid).
0 Likes
aslater
2 0 0

Hi Joesldeas

Thank you for the info I think more research is needed and may also contact Shopify for more help, we are currently selling pet products such as accessories like leads, toys, collars etc so don't think its against Shopify's rules but don't want to spend huge amounts setting it all up for it to be shutdown for no reason.

Thank you for your help.

Thanks
Alan

0 Likes