Is it possible not to send customer an email when creating Draft orders?

JackTr
Tourist
10 0 2

We do a lot of wholesale orders and I'd like to know how can we create draft orders without sending an email to our customers.
Thank you!

0 Likes
Olivia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
376 33 88

Hey, @JackTr!

Olivia here from the Shopify team.

Thanks for sharing your question. It's definitely possible to skip the `email invoice` part of a draft order. Follow the steps to create a draft order:

Olivia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
JackTr
Tourist
10 0 2

Thank you for your response Olivia!

This was really accurate based on my request, but I did forget to mention something.
The problem actually occurs when we Mark as Paid. These orders are either gift, influencers, investor packages or wholesale deals we're trying to close and do not require payment. But we do want to track that for both Productions (one source of truth for our operations) and track how many of these we sent to control cashflow (with tags).

So ideally we would want to have customers' info in there, (for delivery, shipping etc.) but not them to know that this is actually happening in the background.

Thank you!

0 Likes
Olivia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
376 33 88

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification, @JackTr.

When you mark an order as paid it's treated very much as though an order was transacted through your online store. As part of that process, an order confirmation email must be sent and cannot be disabled at this time.

In your case, merchants typically create a draft order and add a 100% discount.

• This can be strategic, as it shares the real world value of the order.
  • It's also a good experience for merchants to receive the emails if you are adding things like a tracking number, for them to track their packages.

On the other hand, I can definitely appreciate why you might need to bypass this. A hack would be to not enter a customer email address with their profile, but I can also see why you would want that information easily accessible and accurate.

I'd like to hear more about what you think and see if we can come up with another solution. I also invite other community members with the same needs to share their thoughts on how they are managing this.

Warm regards,

JackTr
Tourist
10 0 2

Olivia, thank you for your response once again.

The best alternative I’ve found so far was not to add the customer info prior to marking it as paid and only add it afterwards.
Since we’re able not to notify customers when label is created etc.. it’s a much smoother experience.

That said, adding just a checkmark allowing us not to notify customer when an order is created would be very practical for our business and I’m assuming many others.

Thank you for your help!

Olivia
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
376 33 88

Thanks for your reply, @JackTr.

That's a clever workaround! Your feedback is definitely relevant, and I'd be happy to pass your comments along to our Product Development team for consideration. 

Thanks again,

0 Likes