Is it possible to add opening times to the store?

ReRun
3 0 0

We would like to close the online store at weekends. Is it possible? So you would be able to browse but not buy anything...

0 Likes
Ash
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
679 68 90

Hey, @ReRun!

Ash here from the Shopify team. Welcome to the Shopify Community! 

This is a great question, and I'm happy to help discuss some potential solutions. At this time, there's not a built in feature nor application to set an open/close time on the online store, but I do have a few ideas that may work out. If you want to allow people to browse your site but not make purchases, the first thing that comes to mind is the Dormant plan, or pausing your store. When a store is paused, the site can remain active, but the checkout is disable. This would effectively disable purchases, but allow customers to continue browsing. Here is some more information on pausing your plan. 

In order to achieve this result without changing your Shopify plan, then some custom coding would likely be required to your theme. One option would be to create a duplicate of your theme, but on the duplicate the 'add to cart' and 'buy now' buttons are hidden. With this option, there would still be some manual work required, but you'd be able to switch the active theme on your site to have the buy buttons either available or hidden. 

For something purely automated, I would recommend hiring a Shopify Expert to create a custom solution. It's possible that an Expert could add some code to your product page to have the buy buttons only show up on certain days. Shopify Experts are trusted, third-party agencies and freelancers, who are available for hire by Shopify Merchants. You can visit their site here to contact an Expert, or post a job request and receive quotes from eligible Experts.

I hope this helps a bit, and I'm happy to continue brainstorming some solutions with you if need be. May I ask why disabling the option to order products on the weekends is something you're looking to achieve? With some more context, I may be able to come up with some more ideas. 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
ReRun
3 0 0

HI ,

Thanks for your answer.

We are a CIC selling secondhand running clothes but our main purpose is an environmental one. We want to raise awareness around textile waste and encourage behaviour change around consummation.

COVID has shown us what it is like to spend uninterrupted time with family and it has been wonderful. We believe that shopping should not be a hobby or something you do when you are bored!

By closing on weekends it allows us to remain undistracted knowing that orders aren't piling up but also will contribute to behaviour change by removing that temptation and will also contribute to the consumer being more sure that they want/need the item as they will have to wait!

(albeit we are against other giant stores but still!) 

Does your first option mean that we will have to pause and unpause each week?

Thanks,

Charlotte

0 Likes
Ash
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
679 68 90

Hi, @ReRun!

Thank you for getting back to me. Wow, that is an incredibly thoughtful plan! I love the idea of fostering a community with strong connections and intentions. 

In regards to the first option of using the Dormant plan to pause your store, you're correct that pausing and unpausing would be a manual task to be completed each time. Switching between Dormant and a regular plan would be changing the plan on your Shopify store, and so only the Account Owner would be able to make this change.

I hope this helps clarify, and please feel free to reply back here if you have any further questions. 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Elías
Tourist
17 0 1

Hi,

I developed an app where you can set your store hours and show a custom message for your customers when the app is closed. It also disables your add to cart and checkout buttons. Check it out: https://apps.shopify.com/were-open

The app also has a feature called "smart message" that adds the next opening hours to your custom message. Please contact me if you want me to add a specific feature.

Regards,

Elías

0 Likes
Tribery
1 0 0

Hi,

I’ve just come across your reply to the question in search for an app like yours for the store I’m building.

could you help with the below information so I can understand if your app will allow me to control elements of my site at the level I’m trying to or if it is a side wide solution.

I will be offering made to order custom clothing and also ready made items. I want to be able to leave my ready made items available to purchase  all of the time if in stock where as I need to be able to disable to checkout and purchase options on custom products when I am at capacity whilst leaving the products visible for browsing.

I also want to ideally be able to schedule these custom items to become available on a certain date and time hence why I liked the look of your app but I’m concerned my entire shop will become either open or closed stopping people transacting on items I actually have available to sell

0 Likes