Is my shop under attack? (Crazy amount of ad-to-carts)

Solved
leoI
Tourist
5 1 2

Someone is adding a crazy amount of products on my shop's cart, then leaving.

Whoever is doing this has been consistently doing so for weeks. I found out by seeing their URL path on my shop. And because my dashboard is pointing to an insane amount of add-to-carts on those products.

Why would anybody do this? I can think of a few reasons:

1. He's trying to mess my pixel and analytics data, so my Facebook and Google ads algorithms get messed up and ineffective.

2. Whenever someone abandons a cart, they receive a 10% discount on their e-mail so I can try to win them back. And, maybe he's trying to resell my products with a discount (which I wouldn't mind as long as it sells).

Has anybody been through anything similar?

Is it really possible to mess someone's Ads algorithm by doing that? Or am I worrying for nothing?

I'd appreciate some experienced opinions on the matter .

0 Likes
Elias
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
983 94 144

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @leoI.

This is Elias from Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out.

I understand that someone is adding a crazy amount of products on your shop and abandoning their cart. While I can also agree that this is strange behaviour and a valid concern; however, I don't think this is something you need to worry about. Regardless of the number of products customers are adding, each time they leave their cart - it would only count as one abandoned cart. Although this might affect your analytics in the beginning, as you get more orders -  it would make less and less of an impact. Essentially, there will always be some customers that may abandon their carts from time to time, so this shouldn't be too alarming. 

As for the abandoned cart recovery emails with discount offers, which is a great retention strategy by the way, is something that you can limit once per customer as well. While it's hard to say whether they are re-selling your products; however, like you've put it, as long as your products are selling and converting - then I think you're good. 

That being said, it would be a problem if the customer keeps completing their order and then requesting a refund through you or their bank. If you see this happening, you can consider blocking specific customers from checking out using our Fraud Filter app. Fraud Filter can restrict certain customers from checking out using rules, such as IP address, countries, or cities. Fraud Filter can also block specific URL pathways from referring sites. If this is something you're interested in - we've also got a help doc on Fraud Filter to help you with setting this up. 

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to let me know!

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

leoI
Tourist
5 1 2

Thank you for your compelling answer.

I think it was Google bots analyzing my store because most of the accesses were from Ashburn/VA, and I was told that is where Google has some of their bots operating.