Is no one going to talk about the fact that using a SSN is ridiculous?!

Highlighted
1 0 0

Does anyone know if it is possible to deactivate shopify payments, only use paypal and not have to input SSN or EIN, i am 15 and am really trying to figure out how to start selling but shopify has to make it ridiculously stupid because of the fact that you have to use a SSN... this is so annoying... why can’t this just be like ebay where i just only accept payments through paypal and don’t need to mess with SSN?!?

-  Someone that has a good product and wants to sell but can’t because shopify is annoying and wants a SSN for no reason

0 Likes
Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
3253 245 558

Hi @kyle19games,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Every Shopify Payments account requires a human representative who is over 18, and part of the verification for that person requires the SSN, name, date of birth and possibly some other forms of identification. Shopify is required to report payment processing on USA Accounts to the IRS. So if you do not have business tax details (EIN), the SSN is used for these tax filing purposes which is why it would be necessary to complete the setup process for Shopify Payments. 

Something else to remember is that you must be 18 yrs old to open a Shopify account as per the Shopify Terms of Service: Account Terms: 2.

20-08-hn3xr-ngt40

My advice would be to speak to a parent or legal guardian regarding setting up your account and connecting Shopify Payments, to have all the tax aspects in place and avoid any unnecessary actions with the IRS. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Community Moderator @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes