Is possible to block/ignore my own traffic?

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Dear Shopify Community,

There is something that is making my Analytic very inaccurate and little bit confusing.

I visit my own store only on my own devices only on my own internet connection and only when I am logged in. In that way I expected to track only real Analytic stats BUT NO! I can see how I generated most of visits while not a single visit should be tracked.

How to fix this? Can I somehow block my IP adress to stop this? And can I somehow contact Shopify Support to manually delete my own traffic? As a beginner this traffic just confuses me. It would be fun to know if I had customer from city where I live but I never could know that. :)

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1421 140 392

Hey there, @Strale 

Bo here from Shopify Support. 

That is a really interesting question. In order to ignore your own visits in the 'Analytics'  section of your admin, you will need to be logged into your Shopify admin in the same browser during the same session that is being used to view your live site. So long as you are logged in on the same window during the same session you will not track your own moves on the Traffic reports in 'Analytics'. There is no way to delete the data that has already been collected. 

I would also recommend looking into Google AnalyticsWe actually have step-by-step instructions on how to set up and integrate Google Analytics with Shopify, and once you've gotten started using Google Analytics, you can follow their steps on excluding internal traffic, which not only shows you how to exclude individual IP addresses, but subnets of IP addresses as well (if necessary, of course). It's a super-useful and informative tool to have available anyway, so it's worth checking out!

All the Best,

Bo

Bo - Social Care @ Shopify

Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

Hello, @Bo

Thank you for quick reply!

The fact is that I am always Logged in to my Shopify Admin account when browsing my Store.

I always access my Store through Eye (Eye icon) or through Customize but traffic is registered anyway. This was reported already earlier on Shopify Community. Shopify should have option to manually enter IP adress (or more) to block all traffic to get detected from it. Then if my own traffic is detected that's my own fault then, but this is not my fault. Traffic is detected anyway, always, no matter how I accessed my Store.

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1421 140 392

Apologies, @Strale. I checked in with our technical team.  While we do have some guidance on doing this for Google Analytics which you'll find here - it isn't something that can be set in the native analytics just yet. I can send this forward as a product recommendation though for the future. I know it won't sort you out in the short term but we're definitely listening to all feedback and have added many features based on merchant demand for them.

All the Best,

Bo

Bo - Social Care @ Shopify

Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 1

@Strale I too have the same issue with Shopify's Analytics. I like to have two windows open while working in the Admin section. One being on the site itself and the other updating products, copy etc. As robust as Shopify is, I am quite surprised this option was not considered when the developers were creating the functionality of it's Analytics. It's pretty much a no brainer that store owners don't want their own traffic logged on their reports. 

As for Google Analytics, I have done all the updating of my IP addresses from all devices/platforms but came across this Extension that just makes life so much easier. It just goes in your browser and works similar to an Ad Blocker. Maybe I should suggest to the creators to think about adding Shopify to it!!! LOL. 

https://www.igorware.com/extensions/block-yourself-from-analytics

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

@LMcLellan 

IP Block would be the best option.

We would be able to add our IP adress (or adresses) and there won't be inaccurate Analytics. So it's only our fault if we forgot to block our IP address.

I mean, it's not such a problem but it just bugs me a lot! :D If I sort Analytics by Country - Region - City I can see my city name so there is 99.99% that this is definitely me. Simple math can show 99% accurate Analytics by deducting visits/sessions from my location. :D But again, a really basic feature is missing on Shopify. :(

So this Extension can block my own traffic? Only on Desktop it's available I guess, right?

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
12 0 1

Yes, it appears to be just for Desktop. But I do like your idea of an IP Blocker that would work in Shopify.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

@Bo 

“it isn't something that can be set in the native analytics just yet. I can send this forward as a product recommendation though for the future. I know it won't sort you out in the short term but we're definitely listening to all feedback and have added many features based on merchant demand for them.”

Has there been any progress in blocking/ignoring my own traffic in Shopify Analytics

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

I still shock how good the shopify platform is on some point and how poor on others. That in 2020 you still can not exclude your on IP adres from the analytic figures and that shopify advies do use analytics is really very bad. 

Same is the picture and collection organisation that is very poor. But the product management is perfect. Strange Shopify doesn't work on that.

Anyway i'm happy with the new platform (but oke i had a magento 1.9 system so that was really old.

Highlighted
1 0 0

This has been an issue on the forum for the past 3 - 4 years. Shopify still hasn't created a solution to exclude admin activity from the site analytics? 

0 Likes