Is there a way to hide a product sitewide?

mctenold
Shopify Partner
42 0 5

Is there a way to hide a product sitewide, but still make it viewable and purchasable by visiting a direct link to the product?

0 Likes
alexmarse
Shopify Partner
19 4 9

Easiest way I could think of would be if you just removed it from all collections, while keeping it available on your sales channel.

Alex Marse | Shopify Enthusiast
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!

Alex Marse | Shopify Enthusiasts
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
0 Likes
Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
884 49 141

Hey, @mctenold

Tira hee, from Shopify.

Thanks for the question and thanks @alexmarse for your suggestion. This will work. Collections categorize your products on your online store. 

You can hide these products from your collections and still make them available on your sales channels, you will still be able to share the URL of the product with anyone.

If you need to grab the URL of the product to share with someone, you can login into your Shopify Admin, click on Products, and click on the product you wish to get the URL for. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and under the Search engine listing preview, you will see a URL there that you can copy and share as you would like. 

Here’s what this looks like from my test store:

20-12-kng0w-ilove

There are two types of collections: Manual and Automated. Manual Collections need products to be added and removed from them manually. 

If you have this kind of collection, you can follow these steps:

1. Login to your Shopify Admin
  2. Click on Products > Collections
  3. Click on the collection you wish to edit 
  4. Under the Products section, you’ll see a list of the products already added to the collection
  5. Click on the “X” next to the product you want to remove

20-12-p6e0l-37tb6

6. The product page will auto save and your product won’t be visible through that collection. 

Check out the steps listed in our help doc here: Remove products from manual collections.

Removing products from an Automated Collection is different as products are automatically added to these collections based on the product conditions. To remove these products, you will need to go to the product and remove the conditions that match the collection. To find out what conditions your collection has, you can follow steps 1 - 3 from above, and instead of “Products” you will see a section called, “Conditions” for Step 4. After taking a look at your conditions, you can go to your product and remove those conditions. 

Check out our help doc on how to change an Automated Collection here: Change the contents of an automated collection

Let me know if this helps you accomplish what you want to achieve.

Tira | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
lisankelly
Tourist
8 0 2

thanks @Tira this helps me as well! Although, how do you keep it from showing up in search?

Thanks

Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
884 49 141

Hey, @lisankelly

Thanks for reaching out. I understand that you want to hide your product page from search engine results. Is that correct?

If that’s what you want to do, then I recommend following our help doc on Hiding a page from search engines that explains how you can customize your liquid code in your theme’s theme.liquid file to hide a page from search engines. You’ll need to locate the page handle of your product (it is the text that is located after your domain name or myshopify.com URL) and replace the page-handle-you-want-to-exclude part of the code of step #5 to the handle of the page you would like to hide. For example, if my store domain is: mycooleststore.com and my product page was called "Cool thing" then my URL might look like this: mycooleststore.com/products/cool-thing. The cool-thing would be my page handle. I recommend making sure that the page handle that you want to hide isn't similar to other page handles on your store, as these will all be hidden as well. To edit your page handles, you can login to your Shopify Admin and navigate to the collection or page you wish to edit, under the "Search Engine" section, you'll find the URL & Handle. Check out our dev doc on object handles of what this looks like here

Has your collection page always been showing in search results? What is inspiring you to change this?

0 Likes
lisankelly
Tourist
8 0 2

Thanks @Tira  I am wanting to hide them because I sell "special" products to some customers that I don't stock, and these are always done on a manual order. So I will be creating custom orders for these products/customers and I want the products to be available for a custom order but not on the site so that anyone can see them (likely by accident in a search) and buy them. Just to confuse things further, these manual orders often contain some products that are for sale to everyone and some of the "special" (and hopefully hidden) products.

My shopify is brand new, I haven't opened it yet. I am transferring my shop (on a custom built system) to shopify. In our current system, we have statuses for products and these products have a status of "special".

Perhaps you have a better solution for me....maybe I assign a "special" sales channel. Is that a thing.

Basically I need to create custom orders for products not available to everyone - and I need the product to have a price and title and vendor number. Another thought, we are using Finale as our inventory management, maybe I just do it on that end. Sorry, I am kinda going around in circles in my head trying to find the best solution. God I hope this makes sense

0 Likes
Tira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
884 49 141

Thanks for taking the time to write out these details, @lisankelly. This makes sense. Products will have a title, price and you can add in a SKU number if you would like. Check out our help docs for a description of these and the steps to add them here: Product details and adding products

If you want to make sure your products are only available to customers who you create manual orders for, I recommend making your collections or products unavailable on your sales channels. This will make sure your products and collection aren’t available and won’t be searchable on any sales channels or search engines. Typically, if the product was online before, there might be old search results that appear online on search engines, however since you are just starting, I don’t think you will run into this. 

To make sure your products are offline from sales channels, you can follow these steps:

2. Click on “Products”
  3. Click on the checkbox next to the products you want to make unavailable on sales channels 
  4. After selecting your products, click on the “Edit Products” button and click on “Remove available channel(s)...”
  5. Select the channels you wish to remove the product(s) from, then click on “Make products unavailable”

Here’s a video of this process: Making products unavailable from sales channels. Check out our help doc with the steps listed here: Make products available on your sales channels

If you want to hide a collection, you can follow these steps:

2. Click on “Products”
  3. Click on “Collections”
  4. Select the collection(s) you want to make unavailable on sales channels 
  5. Click on the “More actions” button at the top, and select “Make collection(s) unavailable” and check off the collections you want to make unavailable, then click on the “Make collection(s) unavailable”  button

I’ve created a video of this process for you here: Make collections unavailable on sales channels

We also have the steps listed out in our help doc here: Change the availability of collections.

If you haven’t created a collection yet with these special products, you’ll want to create one by following the steps in our help doc: Creating collections.

Once you’ve made the products or collection(s) unavailable on your store, you can begin taking draft orders. Draft orders allow you to take orders from your Shopify admin and is great to use if you don’t want your customers to purchase from you online. Here’s our help doc with the steps to create a draft order

I’d love to know if that helps for what you want to accomplish.

lisankelly
Tourist
8 0 2

oh this is so simple!!! Thank you so, so much @Tira 

0 Likes