Solved

Is there a way to view the number of orders with returns?

TrekLightGear
Excursionist
17 0 16

I got asked today what the return rate was for our shop and figured a quick look at the reports section would help me find the answer.  And then I got stumped.

I'm able to see the dollar value of the returns on the Sales Over Time report but that doesn't tell me how many orders had returns so I can calculate a return rate on my orders. 

I'm guessing one of the paid report apps will do this but right now I'm just hoping there's a way to do it without a monthly fee.

Accepted Solution (1)
Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, there!

Awesome! Glad that this resolves your calculation needs. The idea you've come up with is brilliant!

I'd be happy to launch a feature request with our developers to see if this functionality can be added in the future. While I can't guarantee that it will be added, I'm more than happy to pass along your suggestions that would provide better services to the Shopify platform. If the request is already there, I can add to it to bump it up - as the more merchants that mention a feature, the more likely they are to be implemented.

If you wouldn't mind, kindly click on Accepted as Solution or Like on the post. It'll help the next person when he/she tries to search for similar questions. If there's anything else I can help you with, don't hesitate to reach out in the forums or simply reply to this thread. I'd love to help you out!

Best,

Jason

Allan | Shopify Community
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
Your Like and Accept as Solution are much appreciated!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 9 (9)

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

Hey, there!

Jason here from Shopify Support.

There are two ways to tackle this issue for you. One is directly from your Shopify admin and the other is by using a third-party app.

From Shopify analytics:

If you want to check out the number of orders had been returned, here are the steps:

1. Log on to your Shopify admin. Click on Analytics > Reports > Finances > Finances summary.
    14_23-0dzgm-dsv1p
  2. Once in the Finance summary report, click on Returns.
    14_51-tl92p-6go91
  3. Use the Month to date button to change the date range.
    14_52-x8cj9-rrbyu
  4. At the very bottom of the page, there's a number telling how many orders are there in total.
    14_53-blpul-up54u

From the third-party app:

Just in case that if the data comes out from your report aren't satisfactory, I recommend checking out DeepMine. This app offers 60-day free trial and a great alternative from the analytics from your admin. Feel free to check out its functions and remove it before the trial period ends to avoid app charges.

If there’s anything else I can help you out with, please don’t hesitate to reply back and I’d be happy to help out!

All the best,
Jason

Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
TrekLightGear
Excursionist
17 0 16

That's exactly what I needed, thanks Jason!

It still takes a bit of maneuvering to calculate the stat, so if you're able to pass on the suggestion I think this would be an easy and great analytic to include in a future update. 

Similar to the Abandoned Cart card you include on the main dashboard, I'm sure other retailers would enjoy seeing something like "Your return rate is only 2.3%, which is below the average of x% - congrats!"

Just a thought, thanks again for the help!

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, there!

Awesome! Glad that this resolves your calculation needs. The idea you've come up with is brilliant!

I'd be happy to launch a feature request with our developers to see if this functionality can be added in the future. While I can't guarantee that it will be added, I'm more than happy to pass along your suggestions that would provide better services to the Shopify platform. If the request is already there, I can add to it to bump it up - as the more merchants that mention a feature, the more likely they are to be implemented.

If you wouldn't mind, kindly click on Accepted as Solution or Like on the post. It'll help the next person when he/she tries to search for similar questions. If there's anything else I can help you with, don't hesitate to reach out in the forums or simply reply to this thread. I'd love to help you out!

Best,

Jason

Improving_CVR
Shopify Partner
25 0 15

This is definitely something that is needed.

For now, we see the number of returns that were issued during specific dates, but what we really want to know is the number of orders placed during that time frame that were returned (the returns happen very likely at a later date).

Sellers really need that in Shopify.

Allan
Community Manager
411 73 208

Hey, @Improving_CVR

Jason here from Shopify support. Thanks for the feedback!

When you mentioned this feature, there's one app that came into mind called DeepMine. It offers some advanced features that may not be included in the reports in Shopify analytics. The app also comes with a 60-day free trial period. Feel free to give it a try and see if it comes with this specific feature. If the app doesn't meet your needs, remember to remove this app before its trial period ends to avoid the app charges. 

That being said, knowing that this feature is important for your business, I've gone ahead and added your vote to this feature request. The more votes the request has, the more likely the development team will start the development. Thanks again for the input.

Best,

Jason

Improving_CVR
Shopify Partner
25 0 15

Thanks for your Answer Jason, I hope people upvote that so Shopify provides a built in solution

Taylor33
Visitor
1 0 5

The Finances report doesn't show the amount of orders that were returned.  It shows the amount of products that were returned.  If there were 3 items returned on 1 order it counts for 3. Not the amount of returned orders.

DutchMudMen
Tourist
8 0 4

Exactly. We are also looking for the amount of orders, not items.

LindsayAM
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Jason! Two questions!

1. When I follow your above instructions I get a total # of results as you mentioned... but I noticed that it's an inflated count as Shopify has sometimes listed the same order multiple times. Often, the order is listed twice, with the same product/ cost in a positive and then negative value, Ex.

Jan. 1/23.     Order #21212     $20

Jan. 1/23      Order #21212     -$20

How can I see only the number of returns?

2. I see Shopify tracks the "reason" for returns. Where can I find the analytics on this data?