Is there anyway to launch a multilingual shopify online store? (German, English, Korean)

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi.

I am planning to open a online shopify store in Germany.

Since many of my customers will be Koreans who live in Germany, the website needs to support Korean language.

I checked the Shopify app store and noticed there are some apps that automatically translate the website into other foreign languages, however the quality of the translated content is not the best.

So I got some questions to ask to Shopify Gurus:

1. Is it possible to make a Shopify online store (ideally single URL with respective suffix; like if the translated language is korea, then the URL changes to "URL.com/korean" or sth ) to support multi languages?

2. Moreover, Is there any way that I can manually translate the content of the Shopify online store such as menu, category and etc.. and save it?

Thank you for the help in advance.

Raphael.

0 Likes

Hello,

Greetings !

As an Official Shopify Expert and Partner We would be happy to help. 

Please reach us at:

E-mail: admin@mswebdesigner.in
Phone: +919748230320

Thanks & Regards

MS Web Designer Team
Official Shopify Expert and Partner
https://experts.shopify.com/ms-webservices

MS Web Designer (Official Shopify Expert and Partner) - https://experts.shopify.com/ms-webservices
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1137 3 82

Hi Raphael, 

Nick here from Shopify. 

Really good question. The best way to manage more than one language on Shopify is either through an app or having multiple stores. 

I know you mentioned you had a look through some of the apps on the Shopify app store, the language editor in the admin lets you manually translate the copy that would appear for navigation/ add to cart buttons- but without an app, you can only have one default language. There are a couple of help documents from Shopify which might be able to shed some more light on this for you. One is about changing the wording in themes and the other is translating themes

Using an app will let you keep one store with a translation, and so it can be the most effective option unless you need added customisability to the storefronts in the other languages, in which case multiple stores would be the option to take. This would mean having several Shopify stores, one for each language that you are wishing to target such as "URL.com/korean" which you mentioned. Because each store would be separate in this instance, it does offer a little more flexibility to what you're selling, what payment gateway you are using and even the currency you sell in. But at the end of the day, it does mean you would have to manage multiple stores. 

Going the app route might be the most efficient option even though it might not be perfect, it could be better than having multiple stores or no translation at all. 

I hope this helps and answers your questions. Please don't hesitate to ask should you have any others. 

All the best, Nick

0 Likes