Is this idea crazy?

Tourist
15 0 0

I have been using print on demand for about six months. Recently, I've been debating if I should start looking at just print suppliers. This will eliminate the middle man. (like most print on demand businesses)

One concern is I'm not ready to hold a big inventory, and one possible solution is I come to their business to pick up the shirts and ship them myself. (not sure if that's possible)

These businesses would offer more customization, and I hope have lower prices. I know some cons are that they won't be able to integrate with shopify well, but I'm up for the extra work.

I haven't done a lot of research, besides get in contact with a few local shops. I was wondering what people thought about this.

Thanks,

Robert

0 Likes
2 0 1

I think its a great idea, you just need to find somewhere to put your storage. I dont know if there is one in your are but you could possibly rent a storage room to eliminate being the middle man, If you are not ready just yet than don't rush.

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
297 27 57

I'm Lizzy, one of the Gurus on the support team at Shopify. First of all, I agree with @shopifydaddy and don't think this idea sounds crazy at all! As your store develops you'll become more aware of the best way for you to run your business.

Has your business been growing well over the past six months?

When speaking to local print shops you may find that they would be willing to work out a similar system to print on demand. If they are, you can set up a custom fulfillment option within Shopify. This will send them an email with order details whenever one comes in! There is some more information about that here.

As that page mentions, you can also create a private app to connect with a fulfillment center or print shop. This would require either some coding knowledge or the hiring of a Shopify API Expert. 

In regards to your idea of picking up the products and then shipping them yourself, the options for this would vary on a business to business basis. Some print shops will be able to accommodate specific requests, while other businesses will have a structure set up that you will need to find a place in.

I would also recommend checking on your products. You may find it easier to order larger batches of your best selling items and then have a more custom set up, even potentially with a different print shop, for the single orders of less popular products. You find that information using Shopify Analytics!

Feel free to continue the conversation here and let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you,
Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Tourist
15 0 0

Hello @Lizzy 

Thank you so much for your response. You have given me a lot to think about and a solid foundation on how to start. I am sure I will have questions in the future. (:

Robert

0 Likes
Tourist
15 0 0

Hi @shopifydaddy 

Thank you for your response. That's a good idea to rent a storage room. It's a good solution until we are ready to expand into something bigger.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
297 27 57

You're welcome Robert! I'm glad I was able to help. Please don't hesitate to reach out in the forums again in future.

Also, if you ever need specific help with your account, our live support teams are available 24/7! You can reach them here.

Thank you,

Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like