Issue: Duplicating Theme Breaks New Theme

Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 4

I am having an issue with a client's website. Whenever I start a new feature I duplicate the existing theme and work off of the duplicate as to not upset the live website (pretty standard).

For some reason when I duplicate the live theme the new theme is, for lack of a better word, turned to garbage.

I've tried duplicating as well as exporting but for some reason it looks like the liquid compiler does not recognize the new theme as valid even though the original compiles perfectly fine.

Below are some images for reference. Has anyone experienced this before?

The Live Theme

Preview of the Duplicated/Exported Theme

Clicking Customize on the Duplicated Theme received a 404

Venture Focused Consulting | E-Commerce Developer
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 4

I found the issue and potential Shopify bug.

We removed a couple settings blocks from a section in the live theme. The settings_data.json still had that information in it (even though it was invalid). When we duplicate the theme it carries over the invalid settings_data.json and since it is invalid Shopify does not actually copy it over. So the entire theme does not have any settings data and so nothing shows up in any sections.

What needs to be done is copy settings_data.json from the working theme to the new theme and when the error popups explaining the sections that are no longer valid, you go in and delete those JSON blocks and save the asset.

Venture Focused Consulting | E-Commerce Developer
1 Like
Highlighted
3 0 0

awhipp ... I would like to thank you for your reply/solution.

It worked like a charm for me and saved me.

It is absolutely amazing that this problem exists for over 2 years and Shopify did not fix it. I would call it bad support

1. This is definitely Shopify "Duplicate Theme" bug .... they should fix.  There are several ways to do it

- Approach 1: They could just report "Duplicate (Copy)" errors ... the messages should have meaning so that one can do some debugging/fixing based on the message

- Approach 2: Just copy everything, good and bad ... if one can publish a theme w/ errors in json file ... than allow copying too.

2. Shopify should write your solution in their documentation. I read several answers from Shopify support and they are useless ... generally what they share can be found in documentation. 

3. Shopify should have public list (online) of all known bugs in Shopify/themes ... with status etc. I found bug bounty program ... however I could not find a simple tool to see all bug etc. I am new ... so if something like that exists please do share pointer

0 Likes