Issuing a refund to 5 customers and wondering if it will be a seamless event

Solved
mountaingoat
Tourist
10 0 2

Hi there,

I would like to issue a refund to 5 customers because I recently discovered, I can't get the materials to make the orders. If I issue these refunds, how long before it comes out of my bank account? has anyone here performed a refund after receiving the money in their account, what was the timeline for the money being removed from your account.

One of the orders is PayPal. Do I issue a refund through Shopify payments and PayPal sends the money back to them? or do I refund through PayPal.

All of the funds have been deposited into my bank account and I'd like to get this completed asap, just wondering if this is seamless or will I run into unforeseen problems.

I am using Shopify payments and I realize that the transaction fee will not be refunded to me. All of the funds are in my account waiting to be refunded.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
Nick_Marketing
Shopify Partner
245 43 63

This is an accepted solution.

Hope it answers your questions:

If you're using Shopify Payments and your payout doesn't have enough funds for a return, then there are different outcomes depending on where you are located. For stores located in:

• Austria, Denmark, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom, the remainder of the refund is deducted from the next payout until the refunded amount is covered.

• United States, Canada, and Australia, the balance is debited from your bank account on the day of the payout.

A refund takes up to 10 business days to be credited back to your customer.

If a negative balance payout fails, then the payout is tried again in 3 business days. For more information about issuing refunds with Shopify Payments, refer to theShopify Payments FAQ.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/orders/refund-cancel-order

When refunding any orders processed by an external payment provider (ie. PayPal), it is very important to begin the refund process on the processers end first to avoid any odd reporting. The reason being that since the funds were processed outside of Shopify, refunding the order on our end won't actually refund anything.

https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/Paypal-refund-problem/td-p/466986

If you are still unsure about refund process, try contacting Shopify's Merchant Support directly.
https://www.shopify.com/contact

- I help businesses with eCommerce and Marketing Technology integrations.
- For consulting work inquiries, please send me a Private Message.
- Presently working in Toronto, CANADA.
0 Likes
mountaingoat
Tourist
10 0 2

Thanks for your help.

Nick_Marketing
Shopify Partner
245 43 63

This is an accepted solution.

If answered your question, please Accept the solution.

If anything else, let me know.

- I help businesses with eCommerce and Marketing Technology integrations.
- For consulting work inquiries, please send me a Private Message.
- Presently working in Toronto, CANADA.
0 Likes