Items prohibited...

Highlighted
Explorer
50 1 13

I'm surprised Shopify haven't shut this thread down yet. There was another similar one they quickly shut down.

@ Organic Beauty Co. are you Leah Jade the owner of your website?

I would be interested to know how you are going to lodge a formal complaint and who with? I'm also based in Oz like you but I don't think Shopify operates here. As far as I can see they are only in Canada.

Tony

True Talon - Knives and EDC Gear www.truetalon.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
13 0 1

Hi Tony,

yes that's correct .

i have spoken with the Victorian Tribunal. They also deal with international companies , as they are still providing services in Australia . 

I have emailed shopify and told them if this matter is not looked into and resolved then I will continue with formally lodging the forms . I urge anyone who is in the same boat to do the same . Shopify need to be held accountable for what they are doing . 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Was wondering if anyone knows if selling pure gold jewelry is against shopify payment terms? It doesn't specifically say this item but there is a section on items with a stored value. That's pretty vague and would it apply? 

Warmest

@Jason wrote:

Each payment gateway will have its own rules on what's considered a prohibited item. Without knowing the gateway you're talking about that will make it harder for the members to respond.

If you're talking about Shopfiy Payments there's a list of items here (B.5):
https://www.shopify.com.au/legal/terms-payments-us

Each other gateway will also have a similar page on their site that you can review. If you can't find it - just contact them directly for the most current information. I'd be hesitant trusting the responses you get from a forum since the rules that gateway puts in place could have changed. If you want to be 100% sure - contact the gateway.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2369 120 375

I am not a lawyer no one here is a lawyer do not use forums for legal advice.

Contact an actual lawyer for clarifications on legal matters that will impact your business.

Just because you understand your product does not mean a third party (i.e. payment gateway) will understand that product.

More importantly they are not under any obligation to understand your business or it's products. 

Meaning it may protect it's interests with broad strokes that may be wrong from your businesses perspective.

That is a mindset you have to keep in mind when using third party platforms to run your business.

If you find yourself barred from using a service for having X product keep in mind shopify is an ecommerce business with staff who are not chemists, or all knowing legal experts,etc

@dapdapdapper wrote:

Was wondering if anyone knows if selling pure gold jewelry is against shopify payment terms? It doesn't specifically say this item but there is a section on items with a stored value. That's pretty vague and would it apply? 

Stored value should be referring to things like gift cards considering that's in the section about virtual currencies.

Otherwise you couldn't sell anything of value because everything "stores" value that's how commerce works innately.

Jewelry is pretty big category of sale type on shopify and there are plenty of examples so you should be fine. <-- not a lawyer.

Virtual currency or stored value -Virtual currency that can be monetized, resold, or converted to physical or digital products and services or otherwise exit the virtual world (e.g., Bitcoin); sale of stored value, quasi-cash or credits maintained, accepted and issued by anyone other than the seller
https://www.shopify.com/legal/terms-payments-us

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

is it possible to use Shopify software WITHOUT using their payment services?

because i'm going to use shopify for products that are not approved by any payment provider (some male enhancing products and  similar products including pills).

i could not find any list of prohibited items by shopify.  i just see prohibited items by payment gateways.

i assume i can list them but just do not try to get paid for them using shopify payment partners?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2369 120 375

@zorgerstern wrote:

is it possible to use Shopify software WITHOUT using their payment services?

Shopify and Shopify-payments  are two separate things.

The latter(shopify payments) is the gateway service offered for use with a Shopify store.

You are not required to shopify-payments, you can use any of the hundreds of third party payment gateway that are integrated with the shopify platform.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1046 61 124

Hi there @zorgerstern!

Don here from Shopify. :) 

As @PaulNewton mentioned above, you would not be required to use Shopify Payments if using Shopify.

While other payment gateway providers will have other restrictions you need to be aware of, just for using Shopify itself; the items listed here are restricted from being sold.

If you can let us know in which country your store would be based, we can share a full list of payment provider options for your use there. 

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
34 0 11
Don!

I read your posts and they were very helpful.

I didn’t realize this was an issue. My story is like the others. I have many items that I had to delete.

Isn’t OBERLO the payment gateway?

If not how does one delete Shopify Payments?

Then, what is best option for one to replace it with?

Thanks in advance!
Geri
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1046 61 124

Hi there @GeriHertel!

Don from Shopify once again. :)

Oberlo is not a payment gateway, it is a dropshipping app you can use to import products to your Shopify store for sale.

A payment gateway is a service (like Shopify Payments) used to take payments from your customers for the orders they make with you.

If you do not wish to use Shopify Payments in your store moving forward you can deactivate it in your settings > payments menu in your admin and choose any of the other available credit card gateways in your region.

If you can let us know in which country your store is based, we can provide a full list of payment gateways available for use there.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
34 0 11

Hi Don!

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am in Washington State, USA.

I have been working with Elias in Risk Operations to see about replacing the items with proper products.

I would rather stay with SHOPIFY PAY. I don’t want to learn one more platform.

Do you also help in other areas of SHOPIFY or just problematic products?

I don’t want to give up, but this is not as intuitive as it seems.

Thanks for your help!

Geri

Silver Beauty Products 

0 Likes