John Smith From Google - UTM Google Shopper - Creating false abandoned carts

Highlighted
3 0 5

I am using Google Shopper to push our products from Shopify store into Google Shopper.  Google Shopper seems to have a bot that constantly crawls our products, adds an item to a cart, goes to check out and creates an account variant of "John Smith" - johnsmith+1222@gmail.com or some other number.    

Shopify doesn't track user-agent or IP address for abandoned orders. So I installed 3rd part apps to discover and found the IP addresses all belong to the Google IP allocation.  

It's frustrating as this is creating many abandoned carts which throw off the statistics and analytics for the site, creating accounts, kicks off automation scripts, etc, etc, etc.  

Does anyone else have this issue?   

-Ingram

4 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2

Yes! I've been experiencing the same thing. It's incredibly frustrating. I reported it to Shopify customer service and here is their response:

And with regards to John Smith, I spoke to my Team and because these orders are abandoned carts, there's nothing that is happening that is currently negatively harming your shop, but you could definitely look into blocking his IP address. I believe you'd be able to track his IP using Google Analytics and then use a tool like Traffic Guard to block or this app here seems to track & give the option to block as well, IP Log.

No very helpful. If you figure out a way to combat this, please let me know. 

2 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 2
I have just got the same issue. This bot is creating abandoned checkouts everyday... Is getting me mad. Any solution found??
2 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

Any luck addressing this? We are having the same issue. 

2 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 8

What's the latest on this? I have a client for whom this is a material issue.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 5

I've got this too....anyone got any ideas what this is? Is is harmful?

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 4

I have the same issue. Any update on this? This is really bad.

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 2
Same issue on my store. Anyone figured out how to deal with it yet?
2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Yup, same problem here. For us it started on Nov 11, 2019 and since then we've gotten 206 abandoned carts from "John Smith", address 

John Smith

1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
mountain view CA 94043
United States
(650) 253-0000

which is the GooglePlex address and one of Google's support phone numbers and the email address is always some variation of:

johnsmithus65@gmail.com
johnsmithus20@gmail.com
johnsmith.us82@gmail.com
johnsmith.us5@gmail.com
john.smith.us50@gmail.com

Unfortunately, I don't think we as shop owners have any way to combat it without some back-end help from Shopify. I'd love to be wrong though so if anyone has a fix, I'm all ears!

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 5

Come on Shopify! Look how many people are having this issue. Must be a way to block it.

3 Likes