LOOKOUT: Scam Shopify Tax Evasion Email

I was going through my spam folder this morning which I rarely do, I was just looking for a confirmation emaIl, and I stumbled upon this email that I received yesterday, April 19th, 2021, which started out high on the fear-mongering scale, stating:

"Recent reviews has shown your Shopify store has evaded tax on some liable products. This is an illigal activity which Shopify will not condone."

First off, why would Shopify be contacting me about tax issues and not the IRS? Second, my business name or my personal name is nowhere in this email.

This email is a scam trying to get me to click their link which, if I didn't know better, would have thought this was really from Shopify. I knew immediately it was a scam because this email was sent on April 19th and it says:

"we have placed a temporary hold on your payout" 

And I literally received a payout this morning, April 20th. 

Here's the full email including the scammer's email:

Scam-Shopify-Tax-Evasion-Email.png

Just keep a lookout on this and do not click any links from this email.

Stay safe and much success to all!

Brittany Witt
0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1022 95 242

Hi, @Brittany_Witt!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

First off, I appreciate you bringing this to our attention and sharing this with the rest of the Shopify Community. This definitely looks like a phishing attempt. We take account security very seriously, and I'd like to have our Platform Integrity team take a look into this.

Do you mind passing this email over to us as an attachment? You can do this in Gmail by selecting the three dots next to the Reply icon, then selecting Show Original. From there, you'll see an option to Download original. Once that's done, please send that file as an attachment to safety@shopify.com. We'll also need to see the original subject line, so please make sure not to edit that. 

Sending the original email as an attachment will allow our team to analyze the path the email took and and determine who the original sender was so we can take further action.

Again, I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Thanks, Brittany!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Hello @Julie 

I just sent the scam email via attachment to the email you provided to me. 

Thanks for taking a look into this!

- Brittany

Brittany Witt
0 Likes

Hmm, I wasn't able to send that email. Here's what I got back from Gmail:

Capture.PNG

Brittany Witt
0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1022 95 242

Thanks for following up, Brittany. 

I've just been in touch with our Platform Integrity team and they aren't quite sure why your email would be bouncing. However, they did mention that they haven't received reports of this particular phishing scam, so they would really like to investigate the email. 

Can you please send our Support team an email through the Shopify Help Center? You can reach out by entering a query in the "Ask about a topic" field and scrolling to the bottom of the page, where you'll see an option to Get support. From there, you'll see a few different contact methods, including email. 

Once you select email, you'll notice an option to upload a file with your email. Following the instructions in my previous response, you can download the email and upload it through the Shopify Help Center. It's important to pass along the email this way so that our team can examine the email headers, which will provide them with important information about the sender. 

Thank you so much for your cooperation, Brittany! I really appreciate you passing this along. 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes