Landline number changing on the website

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi,

Just wondering that if anyone has the same problem which is the landline number we put on our website is changing to a different number, and the number is different in different devices, but all the different number could come through to us.

It just confused people that they always get different numbers on our website.

Kind Regards,

Lucas Yang

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
554 28 187

Hi, @Wallpaperbroker!

This is Rae from Shopify. Thank you for reaching out with this question, and welcome to the Community. 

It does seem quite strange that the phone number on your site is changing, and I'd really like to help investigate this further. 

As a starting point, can you please share some more details about how you added this phone number to your site? Did you add it to the text in the footer, or is it coded into your theme? If the phone number is being displayed via an app instead, please let me know the name of this integration.  

Also, which theme are you using at the moment? To find out the name of your theme, just log in to your Shopify admin and click on 'Online Store > Themes', and the name of your current theme will be listed here. 

Lastly, I'd really like to test this out on my end to see the phone number changing. So that I can do this, I'll need to check out your site. Feel free to reply directly to me here with your store's URL and I'll be able to take a closer look. 

I look forward to hearing back from you about this! 

Rae | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
150 0 30

Hi @Rae and OP! 

We are having the exact same problem! Our phone number is hard-coded into our theme

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 2.14.35 PM.png

but we still are seeing that on some customer's and also the store owner's devices that the phone number randomly changes (just the last 4 digits)

image-1.pngimage.png

Did you ever figure out why this was happening and how to fix it? Any ideas @Rae ?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
554 28 187

Hi, @HandHugs

Thanks for joining this thread, and letting me know that you're experiencing this, too. 

What's the name of the theme you're using? You can find this information in your Shopify admin under 'Online Store > Themes > Current theme'

If you're using a Shopify-developed theme, please let me know and I'll be glad to take a closer look into this. However, if you're using a third-party theme instead, I recommend reaching out to your theme developer about this for more assistance. You can contact them by following these steps

In the meantime though, can you please share your store's URL with me here so I can check out your footer and phone number from my end? 

Thanks!

Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
150 0 30

HI @Rae we are using a customized version of the Launch theme. I AM the theme developer but I have never heard of this before. Since it's hard coded into the theme i have no idea how it would be happening. We don't have any custom scripts or anything like that. Just apps and the theme!

https://calmclassroom.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
554 28 187

Hi, @HandHugs

Thank you for following up, and confirming these details. 

When I visit your website on my end on a regular Chrome browser, Incognito mode, and a mobile device, I can see the same phone number displayed that's visible in the screenshot of your coding.

With this in mind, when you tested this on your end, were all the devices you used connected to the same internet network? If so, I recommend visiting your site while using a different connection to see if the phone number displays correctly.  

In the meantime though, I also advise posting this question on our Technical Q&A board here on the Community to see if any other Experts have encountered a similar issue. 

Best, 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
150 0 30

We reached out to Shop Protector (a contact form antispam app) that we recently installed. They said they had a small glitch that was causing these types of errors in some stores. I have given them access so they can review and try to fix it. Anyone else having this problem might check their apps and see if they are using this or a similar app. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
554 28 187

Hi, @HandHugs

I appreciate you sharing this update! I hope this helps resolve the troubles you're having.  

Please keep us posted on your findings, as these details will likely help other merchants who are experiencing a similar situation. 

Cheers, 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
150 0 30

They replied to me saying they looked and did not think it was their app that caused the issue  

I guess it's back to the drawing board ...

0 Likes