Language Translation Recommendation

Highlighted
3 0 1

Hello, I am currently looking at an app to get my site going with multilingual translation. I am based in the USA and most my traffic is us based with another percentage coming from europe then varied traffic at about 10% from around the world.

The app i am looking for offers translation into 60 languages...should i go for all 60 since i feel like there is no negative and google will start indexing all versions of the site and hopefully giving me traffic from each? Or would you recommend only choosing a few for seo purposes so my pagerank doesent get spread around?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
218 24 48

Hey @!

Cal here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us. 

Having your store available in different languages is a great idea! Is there a particular reason you want to use all 60 languages? Are you shipping to all these countries? Perhaps focusing on your main markets would be more prudent? If you’re finding that your store and products are popular in a particular region, you can always add more languages later. 

Have you found a particular app in our app store that you are thinking of installing? 

These apps will convert the text on your site into different languages in real-time based on the IP of the customer, but it will have no impact at all on Google (or other search engines) crawling your site. It will not index your site in multiple languages, as they don’t look at or index the front page itself, but rather that robots.txt which will have none of that app's code on it. 

It will also have no impact on traffic I’m afraid, that will rely solely on your marketing plan. How are you marketing your site currently?

Cal | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes