Legal Question Regarding Blog Posts

9 0 0

Hello all!!

So excited to be inching closer to an official, official launch of my store. I have a question regarding a blog I'm starting up on my site - it's supposed to be like an informational blog giving background info on the products/companies I'm selling. Does anyone know if I need to worry about the legality of using 3rd party google info to put together these posts? 

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
228 0 21

Hi Jane,

Stephen a Shopify Guru here :)

From my own experience taking information from google and re-posting, it is not that big a deal as long as you list your references and the original post in your blog, You tend to only get in trouble when you try to pass off the information off as your own but by adding in the original author and a link to their original post you are boosting their SEO score which most people would not object to. Images taken from google can be another kettle of fish and it would be a good Idea to reach out to the artist and ask permission to repost their work, nine out of 10 times they won't mind and will send you on an image with a watermark to use on the store but this may not always be the case.

Hope that helps, feel free to drop us a line at support@shopify.com if you have any other questions. 
Stephen :)

0 Likes
Highlighted

You really have to clarify "3rd party google info". That could mean anything and be illegal.

Run Google Shopping ads? Get the free definitive guide to Google Shopping for Shopify (no optin required): https://www.digitaldarts.com.au/google-shopping
0 Likes