Letting customers buy more than one item (shopify lite)

Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi - very new to all of this but basically setting up a Facebook shop to offer small volume direct sales to augment our wholesale / stockist retailer business. We don't at this stage need a full shopify shop, but would like to get round the 'single item' restriction that currently applies to Facebook integration and/or express checkout via links and buttons. This thread says it can be done, but doesn't explain how: https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Design/Is-there-a-way-to-let-people-shop-for-more-than-1-pro...

How do I get to my 'shopify checkout' mentioned in the reply rather than the 'express checkout' the buy buttons and links / facebook shop direct to? Also, other threads I've read mention Facebook offering 'shopping cart' features in the USA and suggest UK / other users would see these features at some point - is there any news on that yet?

Finally, is there any way of adding a simplified 'cart' upgrade without going the whole hog and investing in an online store, because the additional monthly cost of this isn't justified by the volume of direct sales at this stage, or, possibly, ever.     

Thanks 

Peppy

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
560 36 80

Hi, there.

Great question and I'd love to help shed some light onto your question.

In this case, what John said in the forum post you linked is correct. With the Facebook buy button from Shopify, it's only possible to check out with one item at a time. What he was saying was that you can add more than one of the same item, but you can't add different items, if that makes sense.

So if you're selling socks you can add 1 pair of socks or 5 pairs of socks, but you can't add a pair of socks and a hat to the cart.

If you actually just want your customers to be able to purchase a full range of items then you'll need to move to the basic plan which would start at $29/mo USD.

The other option that you might want to look at would be bundling products. If you have a set of items that are bought together frequently then you could create a product with the price of each item combined to make one price and one item. That way your customers will still be able to buy more than one product and it'll work with your checkout button because it's technically still one product. If you do that, however, you'll want to make sure you pay close attention to your inventory numbers.

Another thing to make note of is the fact that you can't bundle items if you're dropshipping. Dropshipping orders need to read an individual SKU number so combining more than one would make them all invalid.

Does that help to answer your question?

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Dallas- 

Thanks for reply. You've confirmed my understanding of John's post is correct, but I still can't see/work out how to allow more than one item (by which I mean, say, 3 of the SAME item) ...

Whether clicking through from Facebook or a direct link URL the link goes straight to the 'Express Checkout' with an order for 1 off already added and greyed out in the quantity button (see screen grab). I can see no way to change this, or any way to link to an earlier point in the process where the number of items can be changed to allow purchase of two or thee or whatever of the (same) item... grab 1.JPG

1 Like
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi again - just 'bumping' this as I've not yet discovered how to allow for more than one (same) item to be purchased. If anyone can explain what I'm missing it would be really useful! 

Thanks

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
560 36 80

For that, you're going to want to look into cart permalinks. You can create pre-loaded cards with different quantities and that'll redirect your customers to the right cart depending on their selection. This link here has all the information that you need for setting those up. I'll add that this would require a few snippets of code, however, the amount required for this is less than for my next option for you. 

The other option would be to make adjustments to the buy button itself. This link has all of the developer documentation for the buy button so you can take a look and make adjustments yourself. As the option above, this will require some knowledge of code. The adjustments for this feature be within the line item that affects quantity. If you're not comfortable with making adjustments like these you can certainly reach out the Shopify Experts who can set all of this up for you.

I hope this helps you out to figure the next best steps for what you're wanting to do. 

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1663 50 174

@Dallas there's some ambiguity here that's confusing about the different systems, could clarify the use of the buy-button-js sdk with facebook channel?

I'm pretty sure that's what @Peppy  means when they say "buy button" (opposed to custom storefronts or buy-button channel)

And afaik you can't serve custom buttons on a facebook store or has that changed?

And with permalinks you mean using urls in facebook posts as you can't add them into a facebook button?

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
560 36 80

Hi, Paul

I have done some more digging into this issue and you're right. My sincerest apologies as I had the incorrect information for this particular instance. 

Specific information on the use of the buy-button-js sdk with Facebook is a bit outside our scope of general support here. However, I've talked with some teammates above me and have been informed that we aren't, in fact, able to customize the buy button in this regard. 

Since it's on Facebook, you're right, you won't be able to use permalinks. The information that I had gathered was in the idea that the button would be used on a website but didn't take into consideration that in this case it would be used on Facebook instead. 

Once again I give my sincerest apology for the misinformation. 

Best, 

0 Likes