Solved

Limit discount maximum dollar amount?

nuckbuc04
Tourist
8 0 5

Hello - I routinely give out discount codes for things like 10% off storewide. I need a way to set a maximum dollar amount the discount can be used for (i.e. 10% off, up to $50). This is mainly used to bring in new customers to plan their first order but I do not want the ability for someone to take  10% off an order of thousands of dollars. 

Shopify doesn't have this ability and I haven't been able to find an app that does so. I would have thought this would be a somewhat common thing but I've given up looking. I am currently on the Supply theme.

PLEASE HELP!!! Thank you 🙂

Accepted Solutions (3)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

This is an accepted solution.

Hello, @nuckbuc04.

Elias here from Shopify Support.

While Shopify currently does not have a way to set an order limit for discounts, there are some third-party apps that have this feature. I was able to find a few third-party apps with this feature, which allows you to set minimum or maximum limits for carts or products. These apps offer a free trial, feel free to check them out. If you require support with these apps, you can always reach out to the developers directly through the contact information found in the Support section of their app pages. 

• Order Limits - Minimum/Maximum limits on your products, groups or entire cart.
  • OrderLogic - Simple min and max product and order limits plus much more.
  • MinCart - Easy minimum & maximum limits on your cart, products and more.

I can see how this would be a useful feature and I will be putting forth a feature request with our developers so that this can help us grow our discount features. 

Based on my understanding that you want to prevent new customers from using the 10% off their first order discount from a larger order (thousands of dollars in products), it looks like the third-party apps mentioned above can do this. However, there are other methods to consider as well. Our ‘Buy X Get Y’ discounts, available natively, allowing you to set up something like “buy 3 get 10%” or “buy 3 get 1 free” where the discounts are applied within a limit. Keep in mind that you can also set a limit of use per customer for each discount created on Shopify. Would this be something that you might consider?

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

babalou
Tourist
3 1 11

is there any update on this feature.

Strange that such a basic feature is not available yet, specially considering so many threads highlight the need for it.

thepurseladies
Visitor
2 1 5

GUYS, I SOLVED IT!!! 

A little wordy but follow me...

Website Code Setup

With Shopify follow the these steps: 

Shopify>Discounts>Create discount>Make Discount code>Set Percentage> choose each section rule

To Make Discount Caps                                

Shopify>Discounts>Switch to “Automatic discounts” tab>(No code for this one, just title)>FIXED AMOUNT>Set discount value> Check “Only apply discount once per order”>Set minimum purchase amount. 

By setting up a discount code AND an automatic discount you can; (for example) do a sale like this: “15% every purchase with a $150 max savings”. The code can be typed into any purchase except for order totals over $1000 wherein the $150 would be applied automatically. Neither discount will allow the customer to combine the discounts and the system will automatically kick out the code and do a set $150 when the order totals $1000 or more.

YOU'RE WELCOME 😉

Replies 93 (93)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hello, @nuckbuc04.

Elias here from Shopify Support.

While Shopify currently does not have a way to set an order limit for discounts, there are some third-party apps that have this feature. I was able to find a few third-party apps with this feature, which allows you to set minimum or maximum limits for carts or products. These apps offer a free trial, feel free to check them out. If you require support with these apps, you can always reach out to the developers directly through the contact information found in the Support section of their app pages. 

• Order Limits - Minimum/Maximum limits on your products, groups or entire cart.
  • OrderLogic - Simple min and max product and order limits plus much more.
  • MinCart - Easy minimum & maximum limits on your cart, products and more.

I can see how this would be a useful feature and I will be putting forth a feature request with our developers so that this can help us grow our discount features. 

Based on my understanding that you want to prevent new customers from using the 10% off their first order discount from a larger order (thousands of dollars in products), it looks like the third-party apps mentioned above can do this. However, there are other methods to consider as well. Our ‘Buy X Get Y’ discounts, available natively, allowing you to set up something like “buy 3 get 10%” or “buy 3 get 1 free” where the discounts are applied within a limit. Keep in mind that you can also set a limit of use per customer for each discount created on Shopify. Would this be something that you might consider?

Pedro_Pablo_Lem
Visitor
1 0 6

Hi Elias, you are not answering the question. The thing is not to limit the products quantity, we need to limit the max USD discount. Ej 10% with a top of USD50, and of course allowing the client to buy all the things that she/he wants in the cart.

Is there a way to do this?

Regards

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @Pedro_Pablo_Lem.

Thank you for posting and I understand what you’re looking for. However, limiting the max dollar amount on a discount is not possible at the moment. I wasn’t able to find a third-party app that can do that as well. 

I’d be happy to put forth another feature request to our developers on your behalf.

officialcm
Visitor
3 0 4

Hi All,

We have a similar situation, I don't understand what solution OP settled with. We have a 50% discount, but we want to only have it applied on orders whose amount is less than or equal to $300. We don't want to give discounts on big spends. 

So Please can you clarify how you resolved your situation.

socialsafety
Visitor
1 0 2

Any luck finding a solution. I am brand new to Shopify and this was the first discount I went to go setup and noticed I can't do this. I want to offer 10% off upto $100 off. Any luck let me know in your findings.

nuckbuc04
Tourist
8 0 5
nope sorry. try the app store there may be something there, though.
Risa
Shopify Partner
327 16 39

@socialsafety 

App Selly has a motivator feature to offer discount based on cart amount:

https://apps.shopify.com/selly

You can create 2 motivators: motivator 1 to offer discount 10% with cart goal is $1 and motivator 2 to offer discount $100 with cart goal is $1000.

★ SELLY UNITED - The front solution to increase sales for online store and POS - https://apps.shopify.com/selly
Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @officialcm, & @socialsafety.

Welcome and thank you for joining the thread!

I understand you're also looking to set a maximum price limit on discount codes. As previously mentioned, there isn't a way to set a maximum price limit for a discounts at the moment and I didn't have any luck finding a third-party app that can do this. However, there are some apps mentioned earlier in the thread that can apply a maximum limit to the customer's cart, which may be a solution for some stores. With that said, I'd be happy to share your requests as a feature request with our developers. 

If you have any other questions on this topic, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Robert_Richter-
Visitor
2 0 9

Hi - Can you please confirm if this request has been submitted ? No doubt it is a simple code fix ?

This is a very important option that I would have assumed as standard. Being able to offer larger discounts but at the same time limit the actual $ value saved, is very important and used widely.

Look forward to a solution

Thanks

Robert

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @Robert_Richter-.

Thank you for joining the thread! I can confirm that this feature request has been submitted. However, there isn't a timeline that I can provide on that. Though it's likely not a simple code fix, I can see how important this feature is for you and many of our merchants. That being said, I'd be happy to submit a feature request on your behalf as well. If Shopify moves forward with this feature, you will be able to find it in our changelog or announcements page.

If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know in the thread!

Stephanie_Gosne
Tourist
3 0 8

This feature is also very important to my company.  We have been asking for this for 3 years.   Is there a timeline for this now?  Please let us know.  Thanks!

HammadKhan
Visitor
1 0 0

If someone is still looking for a solution. Here's a quick code snippet which can help you. You will need Shopify script editor for this (Shopify Plus)

• Create a coupon code with 0% discount
  • Go to Apps > Script Editor > Create script > Line Items > Blank template
  • in Ruby Source Code add this

if Input.cart && Input.cart.discount_code and Input.cart.discount_code.code == '<Replace With Your Discount Code>'
  if Input.cart.subtotal_price >= Money.new(cents:<Replace With Maximum Discount / (Discount Percentage/100)>00)
    max_discount = <Replace With Maximum Discount Amount>
    cart_subtotal_float = Float((Input.cart.subtotal_price.cents / 100).to_s)
    Input.cart.line_items.each do |line_item|
        if line_item.line_price.cents > 0
        line_price_float = Float((line_item.line_price.cents / 100).to_s)
        percentage = 1 - (((line_price_float / cart_subtotal_float) * max_discount) / line_price_float)
        line_item.change_line_price(line_item.line_price * percentage, message: "")
        end
    end
    elsif Input.cart.subtotal_price < Money.new(cents:<Replace With Maximum Discount Amount / (Discount Percentage/100)>00)
        Input.cart.line_items.each do |line_item|
          line_item.change_line_price(((line_item.line_price)-(line_item.line_price * (<Replace With Discount Percentage>/100))), message: "")
    end
  end
end
Output.cart = Input.cart

• Replace all the <variable> with your values in line 1, 2, 3, 12, 14 (Remove < and > symbols as well). Also make sure your values are round numbers e.g 600 instead of 600.124.
  • Save and Publish

This should cap/limit the discount amount.

Thanks to Github/fnstirling for this snippet. I added some improvements and bug fixes in this script though.

BlueRibbonOil
Visitor
2 0 1

I haven’t tried it but the script a user shared on Pg 2 of this thread seems to be the only solution for now. Why can other people do it so simply but not a big company like shopify?! It’s basically just code! Ridiculous.

golfpairs
Tourist
6 0 16

Just adding to this

We need to be able to limit the quantity of vouchers

We can set a minimum quantity purcahsed but not a maximum

So if we want to offer a voucher to someone to order something for free, it's impossible to limit the quantity that they can order.

It simply needs a maximum as well as a minimum discount quantity and amount.

This is standard in Woocommerce.

Surely many many businesses want this it can;t just be us?

Seems crazy that it's not possible to limit discounts by quantity

PS I agree it is most definitely not solved!

clamify
Shopify Partner
18 2 7

Hey all,

After reading through this thread yesterday, we added a way to limit the maximum dollar amount to our app.
Thanks for the inspiration, and please check it out if you're still looking for a solution: https://apps.shopify.com/discount-mixer

Hopefully, we are able to help out your business. The implementation may not be perfect but we are actively improving every day.
Please give us any feedback so we can cater the app to your needs.

If the app's free trial isn't sufficient or if the price is too steep, let me know and we can try to work something out.

Thanks again for reading this!

Cheers

carolineb11
Visitor
1 0 0

Awesome! Is this app compatible with Recharge?

clamify
Shopify Partner
18 2 7

Sorry for the late reply!
I didn't realize this was in reply to my other comment.

In general, we're compatible with apps that generate Shopify discounts.
So if Recharge falls under that umbrella, then yes!

We want to improve the support for compatibility so please let me know if it doesn't work the way you expect or if you have any other requirements.
We're always looking to improve.

To clarify, we can support setting maximum dollar amount limits at the discount level as well as at the order level.
Both are safety settings to ensure your store's margins are protected.
Check it out here: https://apps.shopify.com/discount-mixer

Thanks again for reading and happy discounting!

Cheers

Momo1000
Visitor
2 0 4

This was three years ago. Can we get an update?

Momo1000
Visitor
2 0 4

Also, please don't mark questions "solved" when they're clearly not. That's actually way more frustrating than if you just acknowledged there's not a solution.

23carat
Excursionist
13 0 4

Hi, we are still having this issue and it seems like there is still no solution to a frustrating universal business challenge. How can we fix this? Very best regards 

Alex444
Tourist
4 0 9

As simple and standard as these coupon features are and SHOULD be included. Don't hold your breath, Robert. Many people have been requesting better coupon options for years. Shopify is great and they have an awesome platform, you have to give them that, but their coupon features are very disappointing. 

YLC_Amber
Tourist
4 0 0

I am interested in the solution for this too. Let us know!

Jkoval18
Visitor
1 0 1

My company is interested in this feature too. Adding a discount maximum dollar amount is important to many businesses for promotions. Shopify, can we get an update on this feature add? 

danieltheman
Visitor
1 0 5

Actually... I can't believe that... 

here the source code for your sw developer

if (productPrice <= discountMaxLimit)

(

product_price = product_price * discount;

)

JESUS! DO SOMETHING! 

sudinkbnb
Visitor
1 0 2

I  was shocked when such a big platform doesn't offer this simple feature. I was in need for same but there are no apps that do it, however, there is this one app I came across which allows you to cap the offered discount amount but it doesn't work with default checkout from Shopify you need another third-party app to support. This is quite irritating though I hope shopify release this feature soon.

https://apps.shopify.com/automatic-discount-rules

nammabnpstore
Visitor
1 0 0

Is this considered now?

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @nammabnpstore.

Thank you for joining the thread!

I understand that having a maximum dollar amount limit on discounts is a heavily requested in this thread and we hear you. While this isn't something that we'd have a time expectancy for. However, so that our developers can prioritize new features - I'd be happy to add more requesters to this feature request. With that said, if Shopify moves forward with any changes or updates to the discount functions - You'll be able to find it on our changelog and updates page. 

If you have any other questions on this topic, please don't hesitate to let me know!

WebWiser
Visitor
2 0 10

Elias, this is pretty ridiculous. 

We have several large stores (on + and standard) that are doing more than $1m per month. Our clients have been asking for this for several years now and we have to keep on saying no to them. Clients are using this to allow a discount to their staff up to a max value. With over 5,000 staff members this is pretty important and is an actual risk if not managed correctly.

I can't hold this back much longer and we might have to start migrating to Salesforce if this is not resolved.

Would be a real pity if Shopify can't just action such an important point.

rpanda
Visitor
1 0 2

Agreed. This seems silly... even seems like a dev originally architected it to be extensible since the data key is prerequisite_subtotal_range (emphasis on range) and it accepts an object... for some reason the object only accepts one key which is greater_than_or_equal_toprerequisite_shipping_price_range, on the other hand, only accepts less_than_or_equal_to...

Anyhow, wanted to say that my workaround for this is to create a collection with an automated condition set to a min and max price. Then tie the price rule and subsequent promo codes to that collection with entitled_collection_ids. Hope that might work for someone else who is frustrated with this 🤷‍♂️ 

Adinda
Visitor
1 0 2

Agree with everyone above!

This should be something basic and Shopify should have provide it to merchants

Right now my own website is competing with sales from Marketplace, and those marketplace are offering this kind of discount which is more interesting to the customer

It will be struggle for shop-owners if we couldn't offer the same thing to our customer

When will you hear us Shopify?

Martyn29
Tourist
3 0 7
Totally agree. Its very important.

Martyn

Nilorak
Tourist
8 0 2

Hey Rpanda, can you explain this more? 

babalou
Tourist
3 1 11

is there any update on this feature.

Strange that such a basic feature is not available yet, specially considering so many threads highlight the need for it.

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @golfpairs & @babalou.

Welcome to the thread and thanks for the additional context.

I understand how important it is for you to be able to limit the discount's maximum dollar amount and I'd be happy to add you both to this feature request. It's also important to note that we aren't able to provide a time frame on feature requests, as implementing new features and platform changes can require a significant amount of coding and testing by our developers. Please keep an eye on our changelog and updates pages for upcoming platform changes and features. 

If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

babalou
Tourist
3 1 11
Elias -  I find it odd it takes over 5 years to develop such a basic feature, I am sure Shopify has lost many users due to it , I personally know 2 webshops that moved away from Shopify due to this feature missing, as most other similar platforms offer this option. Why does it take so long for Shopify to get on board with this? 
BlueRibbonOil
Visitor
2 0 1

Mindboggling how such a basic feature is missing. Another even more basic feature is the text justification, i have to do that using code. It's horrible and i think i should move to another platform for my website too since Shopify doesn't really care about UX but more on other areas like business expansion and whatnot.

golfpairs
Tourist
6 0 16

Sorry it’s not a maximum dollar amount

It’s a maximum quantity

Say I wish to reward a customer with a free item.

I send the customer a discount code to add this free item to their cart

The customer can then order precisely as many of this free item as they choose.

I can set a MINIMUM quantity for a discount code.  So for example I can give you 50% off if you order 2 items.

But it’s crazy I cannot set a MAXIMUM quantity.  So I can limit the number of items you can order with a discount.

I’m personally not talking about dollar limits as much as quantity limits.

But dollar limits make sense too, and would help.

EkatCasa
Visitor
1 0 1

Did anyone find a solution for it? It is so frustrating 😞

golfpairs
Tourist
6 0 16
No we have not but Shopify keeps marking it as closed, even though its far
from closed, and they keep telling us how hard it is to do, even though it
makes no sense and it can't be hard to do at all. Standard functionality
in Woocommerce and they already have a minimum purchase quantity/amount.
I'm not a tech expert but adding a maximum purchase quantity/amount surely
cannot be hard, but would be standard functionality.
Alex444
Tourist
4 0 9

Come on, Shopify. Everyone has been asking for better coupon features for YEARS. Why is your platform so restrictive in regards to coupons and their features/settings???

Martyn29
Tourist
3 0 7

2nd April 2021.   

It  would appear that this very essentil feature is still not available in Shopify. It is ctritical for a seller to be abel to set an upper spend limit.  What if your doing a special deal. Like 50% off a first order?     The buyer could clean out your stock!   Sellers are paying for this platform so this function surely needs to be in there as standard. 

edsuperhero
Shopify Partner
8 0 2

Shopify is weird. Great app but some massive holes eg this, plus inability to search a customer using their postcode (British zip)

tonat
Tourist
4 0 14

None of these apps you listed have anything to do with discount codes limits.

We need a way to make discount coupons 30% off on orders up to $1000.

Or specify the maximum amount discounted, like: 30% off with a maximum discount $300.

Having Shopify Plus and writing a custom script should NOT be a solution for a feature as basic as this.

Dhia
Visitor
1 0 7

Shopify please do something - it's marked as solved, but it's not!!! I also need this feature: setting a percentage discount with a limit. It should be straightforward to implement. Please take care of it asap.

Thanks!

RyobiDealFinder
Visitor
1 0 5

Why is this marked as solved?? Merchants have been asking for this for YEARS... come on SHOPIFY! PRETTY PLEASE🤷

Stephanie_Gosne
Tourist
3 0 8

Agreed, definitely not solved!  

AAC
Visitor
1 0 1

Any progress on this? It seems like such an obvious, much needed yet incredibly easy thing to implement? It seems crazy that we are 3 years on since this reply and yet nothing. Nearly every store providing a discount will put a maximum discount on it, why are we not able to do this as standard?

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @AAC.

Thank you for joining the thread.

I'm afraid there isn't any updates on this. However, I can see how important this feature is for you and I'd be happy to add you to the request. If Shopify moves forward with any changes or updates to the discounts, we'll be sure to announce them on our changelog and/or updates page. 

That being said, there is a third-party app, called Discount Mixer Stack Discounts, that can help with setting a limit on maximum dollar amount on discounts. If you need any help with this app, the app developer is always available to assist you - you can reach out to them directly through the contact information found in the Support section of their app's page. 

I'd love to know if Discount Mixer Stack Discounts can be a solution for you. Let me know!

Offdaze
Excursionist
12 0 7

Is this currently under review?

We really need to be able set maximum value amounts for discounts. Seems like people have been asking for this for a long time?

I have tried the apps recommend in this thread and none of them cut it i'm afraid, its a big task to completely re-setup all your discounts in an app when this is something Shopify clearly needs?

Cam