Limiting someone from using a discount code

Highlighted
1 0 0

I have a couple stores that have a discount code set up for people who join our mailing list to get a % off their first order. We are starting to get people emailing us that they forgot to include the code and are asking to get refunded the discount. I get how to apply a refund, but this discount code is supposed to be limited to 1 per customer, so is there a way to add a person to the discount used list so that if I refund them that money they can't just come back and use the code again on another order?

I am pretty familiar with the backend and have yet to find anything about this issue anywhere.

Any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2374 163 341

Hi @Dain_H,

Nick here from Shopify. Great question! 

I completely see where you are coming from here. Unless the customer has put the discount code through, there isn't a way to stop them from inputting it again should they wish. This can be positive for you in one way though. In instances going forward you could tell the customers when this happens that it's not possible or in your policy to refund the discount but let them know the discount is still available for their next order. This, in turn, could lead to them making a second purchase from your store and they will still get the discount code applied. I understand it's not completely ideal, but it will mean in the end you are not losing out in the equation as there is no way around the initial problem. You can see the help guide Shopify has for all things to do with discount codes here

Something else you could add to your store to help with this is a refund policy/ discount policy page as a disclaimer of sorts. it could help make things clear for customers and give you something to show them if something like this should happen again. The content team at Shopify wrote a blog post about Returns and Exchanges which you might find useful here

I hope this helps and answers your question. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes