Losing cutomers at checkout due to confusion about payment methods?

MidwestJoe
Visitor
2 0 12

I have been losing a large amount of customers at checkout, more so than on another website I run, and am thinking a lot of it has to do with customers being confused with payment options. A customer viewing the site when express checkout and or Paypal Express are enabled, may not readily realize that all credit cards are accepted, as it doesn't clearly state that in the template, and only shows the Paypal and Express Payment options.

Most people still pay with traditional credit cards, and may abandon the checkout if that option is not visible (until the last page of checkout). The only place I found were you can list the method of acceptable payments, are on the footer of the page, and many website visitors, may never scroll down to that part.

In order to remedy this, I tried to add the payment options in the FAQ page, but don't think it will be very effective. If no methods of payment showed, people would look at the FAQ to see how to pay. The fact that it shows Paypal and Express Payment options, leaves people to believe that there are no other options, and they don't search the site for a solution. this would be a very easy problem for Shopify to resolve, and I am honestly shocked that they have never bothered to do so, simply adding text "To pay by Credit Card" would resolve the issue.

In order to try and remedy this, I have disabled all express pay options. If anyone had their own experiences with this, and/or came up with a good solution, let me know

Replies 7 (7)

SupremeSurface
Visitor
1 0 5

This is a problem for our customers too. We consistently have customers call and ask if we take other forms of payment other than PayPal. As much as I like PP it's not the preferred method of payment for a large percentage of our customers. Were you able to resolve this issue?

MidwestJoe
Visitor
2 0 12
Not really. I created a new tap "Payments" where I explain the different
payment options. I don't know why Shopify does not take care of what should
be an easy fix
Phil1980
Excursionist
22 0 32

Hello! I had a customer confused about it today. Are you still keeping the express checkouts disabled?

Thanks for your input!

Joseph-G
Excursionist
16 0 5

I continue to have this same issue with many customers. Its just not obvious that you can checkout with a credit card. Way too many abandoned orders because of this. Its interesting that NOBODY FROM SHOPIFY is answering any of these or offering a solution.

Go4Comfy
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, I have experience the same with our customers from central Europe. Our primary customers are older geographic which I would say majority of them don't know what PayPal is because it is not company that is from our country and we had same reports that they don't want to pay with PayPal.

As sometimes there are younger people who buy with PayPal so we would like to keep PayPal turned ON but we don't want to have the big yellow looking express checkout PayPal button that is right on the top. In December 2022 we used to have Shopify app that hide this express checkout button but made the PayPal option still available later. Well Shopify realised update since then any of these applications work.

We like to have express checkout only for Google pay and Apple pay as it is well known in our country so we was forced to turn OFF PayPal completely and that increased our conversion rate.

We know who our customers are.

Mark1882
Excursionist
30 0 19

I know this is an old thread but I was facing the same issues with the confusing checkout.

If it helps, I made these edits

Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 23.37.01.png

to my site. It's not perfect but I think it's an improvement and slightly less confusing to the customer...

Screenshot 2023-08-05 at 23.36.29.png

soulchild37
Shopify Partner
163 9 46

Hi MidwestJoe,

It is possible to hide the express checkout buttons on the top of the checkout page, without disabling the express payment option, you don't have to remove the Paypal method entirely.
(ie: You can still accept Paypal at the payment selection step, and hide the Paypal Express button at the top of checkout page at the same time)

To hide the express checkout payment method, you will need an app that utilize Shopify functions.

I have made an app to hide the Paypal Express (and other express checkout method like Apple Pay, Google Pay etc) on the top part of checkout page, and customer can still select Paypal method at the payment step.

soulchild37_0-1692262386523.gif

The app is made using native Shopify Functions, thus it does not affect your store existing layout or functionality at all.

The app name is Yagi Express Payment Hider (https://apps.shopify.com/yagi-express-payment-hider)

The app also have a workaround which you can hide the express checkout buttons for returning customers with saved address, but you will need to create a placeholder shipping rate for it to work, this will also work with one-page checkout.

Hope this can help reduce your store's customers confusion and checkout abandonment rate!

Regards,

Axel Kee

Spent too much support time dealing with order cancellation request from customer? Wouldn't it be good if customer can cancel order on their own without bugging your support? Try out Cancellable app! https://apps.shopify.com/cancellable . I also write articles about store customization that can improve your customer shopping experience here : Yagi Software Blog